"Mitch!" Karen scolded.

"They're teens," Mitch said. "They know what I mean."

Tanner nodded, trying to hide a smirk.

"And?" Aaron prompted.

Mitch shrugged, "Both douse themselves in a ton of cheap perfume. They seem human enough, damn foolish to be hanging around that guy. But whether they are wolf or human, I can't say for sure. Part of me suspects they're part of the pack, but I can't confirm anything."

"Goddamn it," Aaron cursed, banging his fist on the table, "none of these characters reek of alpha. I want to know who the alpha is and where he is before we act. This whole thing could be one big trap."

Amanda raised her hand. "Mr. Leidulf?"

"Yes," he said, nodding at her.

"My uncle is hunting a wolf for the DNR," she said. "Could they be hiding in the woods in wolf form? I mean, can you eat that way and stuff?"

"Yeah, if you like your steak raw," Erica said.

Aaron shushed her with a shake of his head. "It's possible. Shifters do that when they have to."

"Is my uncle in danger?" She wasn't sure how she was going to be able to dissuade Uncle Darren from the hunt, but she needed to know the risks first.

"Honestly?" Aaron said. "Yes. But he's always been in danger whether this pack is after you because of him or because of you. In the woods armed with a high power rifle is probably the safest place for your uncle, if half the stories I have heard are true. Heck, he might even get the drop on the wolf and kill it for us. A 30.06 to the chest, not a lot of things can survive that." Seeing Amanda's look of concern, he added, "We are watching him too. Not as closely as you, but we are watching. The pack has gone to lengths to avoid him so far, so I am not hugely afraid for him. You seem to be their major concern."

"Which brings up the question of why," Connor said. "Dad, I would like permission to head to Wisconsin with Amanda. I think the elders might know something."

"We've already discussed this and I agree," Aaron said.

"But I think we need to discuss the time table," Connor said.

"No," Aaron said. He sighed. "You will always have this problem, son. You will always have to balance human needs and human society against wolf needs and society. I will not approve you ditching school."

"In light of recent events-" Brianna started.

"In light of recent events," Aaron finished, "it would be even more suspicious if you all just disappeared for several days. And if we have to hunt, I don't want you guys doing anything suspicious. Being investigated for murder is no light matter. Next week is spring break. You can all go then. Leave first thing on Saturday if you want, but not a day earlier, understood?"

Connor nodded.

"Vince?" Aaron said. Vince nodded. "You are the best in wolf form. Check out this wolf Darren is hunting, but be cautious. A regular wolf in this whole situation seems unlikely. I suspect it will turn out to be Billy, supporting himself the only way he can, but it could be the alpha too. Be careful."

"I always am," Vince replied confidently.

"The rest of you, continue as you have been," Aaron said. "Watch over Amanda but stay in school."

Valerie drove Amanda home, and Connor, Tanner, and Brianna tagged along for the ride. Halfway home, Amanda spun in her seat to look back at Brianna. "Something just occurred to me," she said, "about today."