A hand on my shoulder turned me back around, and Carlisle dipped two fingers into the bottle. There was a weird, clear goo that he rubbed on to my chest, and I flinched. It was freezing, and left a gross, waxy residue on my skin no matter how much Carlisle rubbed it in.

"There, that should do it," He said. Esme was already screwing the lid back on to the bottle. "It's just a rash from the cold. It can lock in hydration and cause a burning feeling. I put oil-based moisturizer over the bumps. They'll heal within 48 hours."

I nodded, reaching to cover myself with the blanket again. Carlisle stopped me, though. "Be careful, Love," He urged, wrapping it over my shoulder, leaving my entire front side exposed. "Don't wipe off the oil. Here, put this over your lower body. It's warm enough in here that you should be fine with a bare torso until that dries.

Though I wanted to cover my chest, too, I would take what I could get. So I just nodded, allowing him to pull the second blanket over my lower body. The other one remained wrapped around my shoulder, covering my back.

Once returned to Esme's arms, I turned to bury my face in her chest. I hadn't yet had the strength to revel in the fact that she was actually here with me. "How did you find us?" I asked, glancing up at her.

She smiled at me, moving a stray lock of hair that fell across my eyes. "We came from the most direct route from the house, hoping to intercept you on your way home. But you had gotten a little off-track, so we had to go all the way to Tanya and Kate's house and then follow your scents. Thankfully, ice preserves scents well, since it's unchanging."

Like me, I thought with a humorless smirk. "And what about..."

"Elody?" Esme asked softly and I nodded. "Edward handled it."

"But how-"

"Edward handled it," Carlisle interjected, glancing first at me and then at Mato. I hadn't realized that Mato had turned away from his game, interested in the conversation. "She is no longer a threat, and that is all you need to know."

I nodded, knowing better than to try and pry when Carlisle used that tone. Maybe Nessie would know, and I could ask her when we got home. I had heard Esme mention that Rosalie, Renesmee and some of the wolves had waited at the house for us, in case we made it home while the rest of the family was out looking for us.

Stretching, I reached out to grab Cuddles. She was a little too far away, but Carlisle was quick to hand her to me. I was careful to hold her against my stomach instead of my chest so the oil wouldn't have to be applied again.

Mato didn't seem as satisfied with Carlisle's answer. "Her eyes were red," He pointed out. "She tried to grab for me, and at first I thought it was a different vampire. I thought she was a vegetarian."

"It seems she thought her best chance against you was when she was at her strongest- which our kind only reach when we've freshly hunted humans." Carlisle explained. I froze, shocked by his words.

She had hunted humans? Elody had run to a town and hunted humans. Because of me. Because I had made her angry by playing with blocks. Someone- maybe multiple people- had lost their lives because of me.

Turning into Esme's chest, I was careful to hide my tears from everyone. Esme's arm tightened around me, though, and her other hand gently ran through my hair. So I think she knew. But she didn't point it out, at least.

Takoda stirred a little bit, and Carlisle rushed to his side. He seemed to be stronger now, turning over himself as his eyes focused on me. "Ammie," He rasped. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, pulling the blanket more tightly over myself. He must have noticed the redness on my chest. "It's just a rash," I promised, smiling at him. "It'll be gone soon. How's your shoulder?"