Part 1: The Unicorn Ranch - Texas - Five years ago

Start from the beginning

  Jennie reached the truck in record time, dressed in jeans and shirt there wasn't time for underwear. She slipped in beside him. Jared gunned the engine. She grabbed for her seat belt as her body swayed precariously in the speeding truck. Her damp clothes clung to her wet skin, the unpleasant, clammy feeling added to her misery. Jared ignored her. The truck's atmosphere became glacial. Mortified, Jennie stared straight ahead, her plans in tatters.

When the ranch buildings appeared in the distance Jared broke his silence. "What exactly are you playing at Jen?"

  "Nothing I was swimming that's all." Jennie hated her childish, sulky tone.

  "Naked?" Jared's voice reflected his obvious anger.

  "I didn't want wet clothes." Jennie's face heated.

   Jared glared at her dripping body. "Well that worked well."

  "Don't..."  Jennie's tears welled and she impatiently dashed them away. "I wanted to show you I'm not a kid anymore. Prove we can be together now." Jared slammed on the brakes, the truck halted sideways. He flung open the driver's door and stalked round to the passenger side. Shocked from the abrupt stop Jennie tracked his progress towards her. An image of Jared yanking her out of the truck into his arms, flashed into her mind. Instead Jared opened her door and leaned against the door frame. Face stern, his blue eyed gaze arctic. Jennie gulped. "What did you do that for?"

  "I didn't want to crash the truck and put you in hospital for your birthday." Jared's fingers messed up his hair as he continued. "Why would I see you as a potential lover?" The incredulity in his voice hurt her more than his words.

  Jennie couldn't hold back the tears; crushed she felt twelve again caught stealing something that wasn't hers. "I'm sorry..."

   "Okay we'll say no more about it. I don't want to spoil your birthday." Jared smiled.

  "You won't tell anyone." Jennie hated her gaucheness.

  "Of course not," Jared frowned. "We need to be clear though. We are not going to be lovers and the sooner you accept that, the sooner we can move on. Get back to normal."

  Jennie didn't argue, desperate to escape from this acute embarrassment. "We better not hang out together."

  Jared's gaze registered surprise, shock even but his words were blunt, "fine by me. Right let's get you home. I don't want mom worried."

 Just like that, he crushed her dreams and ruined her birthday.

                                                                                            ***

 Jennie's party passed in a blur, she smiled when expected, danced with everyone who asked but couldn't wait to escape to her room when it finally finished, late into the night. She sat on the edge of her bed a stack of brown envelopes caught her eye. She pulled them off her desk and scattered the contents before her. Re-reading each of the documents from the English universities she made her decision, her mind resigned to what she must do. She would go to England and study business and media at an English university. It was the only way to escape from her feelings for Jared, which he clearly didn't reciprocate. He reinforced his cruel words from the previous afternoon by flirting and dancing with every girl at her party today, with the notable exception of her. Even now, if he came to her and said he made a mistake, she would fall into his arms. Sadly that wasn't going to happen. Running away to another country, finding another life was the only way to keep sane and hold onto what remained of her pride.

The next day, still raw from Jared's rejection, Jennie told Annie and Ralf. "I've decided to study in England."

Annie flopped down onto the couch in the den, her face devoid of color. "This is sudden Jennie. I know it's what your mother wanted but you seemed so against the idea until now."

 "I'm glad you pushed me to apply and keep my options open." Jennie smiled at Annie.

"What changed your mind?" Annie wiped a stray tear from her cheek.

  "I want to try out another way of life," Jennie shrugged, "my English connections make London the obvious choice." She studiously avoided looking in Jared's direction; sure he would guess he was the real reason behind her decision. He remained silent. No pleas for her to change her mind. What did she expect? This was real life and she already knew how cruel it could be.

"You should go and give it a try Jennie. Get to know your mother's family and a different way of life. We'll still be here for you, when you need us." Ralf enveloped her in a fatherly hug.

Jennie smiled through her tears, surprised he thought it was a good idea. Annie brushed copious tears from her face and Jennie ran into her arms, part of her unwilling to leave the only people in the world who truly loved her. Jared's continued silence made changing her mind impossible. She was leaving the Unicorn and Texas, maybe forever.

                                                                                                  ∞

©Jane Hunt 2015/The Dangerous Gift