Chapter two: Perimeter Fence.

Start from the beginning

Peter frowns. "What the heck? You and Coriander being friends is something I never expected to see," Peter teases. "The end of the world really changes things, huh?"

"Except you," Cory comments acidly, batting his eyelashes.

I know Peter doesn't mean to insult us. This is just his personality.

"I suggest we move back inside. It gets dark soon," I say and everyone agrees.

When we arrive, I have another full body search conducted of each new arrival. We record their names and injuries. We find out what skills they have and if they might have family here. That's the case with a couple of them. Peter moved away and has lost most of his family. One of his companions is his cousin and he is the only family Peter has left. His name is Michael. They have lived in a different community until it dissolved several months ago, they tell me, a place somewhat smaller than this and where they still fear zombies and boneys.

"So tell me," Peter says as we sit down to eat that night. "How come Cory looks like you used to, Jay? I bet he could probably beat you up if he wanted to. Aren't you scared he's going to? You're looking a little pale if I you don't mind me saying so." It hasn't escaped Peter's attention that Cory is sitting next to me at dinner either.

"I'm sure he could," I answer calmly and focus on controlling the movements of my hand, so I can eat properly. High school is so long ago but yet it seems like I'm transported right back into that bubble when Peter speaks.

He scoffs in disbelief. "You don't care that fairy boy can whoop your ass?"

I shrug. "I trust him," I reply, eyes still on my food.

Peter looks from me to Cory, who tries to focus on anything but our conversation - and failing miserably, of course. "Are you seriously telling me you and fairy boy are, like, friends now?"

"Stop calling me that, you moron!" Cory snaps, glaring at Peter. I put my hand on his thigh in a silent attempt to calm him down.

"Why? Does it bother you, fairy boy?" Peter retorts, getting riled up too.

"Would me sticking my gun up your ass bother you?!" Cory threatens. They are both on their feet and so is everyone else the next second. My hand grips Cory's shoulder tightly, holding him in place. I have to fight to get his attention. When I finally do, I raise my eyebrows, asking him to stop. I make eye contact with Jason whom I know is ready to hold Peter back if necessary.

"You watch your mouth," I warn, giving Peter a look just as stern as the one I just gave Cory. "I won't have you talk to Cory - or anyone else - that way. Is that clear?"

Peter looks at me appraisingly for a few moments. Then he chuckles before sitting back down as if nothing's happened.

"Sure, okay. I just didn't think I'd see the day when you'd be defending him."

My eyes narrow. Peter is just as I remember him. Always pushing it to the limit. Just like he did all those years ago when we prowled the school hallways together. Perhaps, there is a more weathered and menacing touch to Peter's personality today. I expect it's why he's survived this long. This world does things to people and sometimes accentuates the not so pretty things. It rips open every possible scar it can find. Mercilessly.

We all sit down and Peter goes back to eating without another comment. He sends Cory a provocative smile and Cory responds with another glare. Cory doesn't go back to eating, but takes a deep breath. I just hope Peter will leave him alone for now.

I lean in closer to Cory, caressing his arm. "Why don't you go home?" I say in his ear. "We'll talk later, okay?"

He eyes me with a scowl, but agrees, and leaves in quick strides.