Smithereens

Trigger Warnings: Depictions of bullying and violence
"...I'd get beat up by him again everyday if it meant that he'd leave you alone."

As the bell signaling the end of 7th period rang out and I started on my way to find Ranboo, we both have 8th period off and ride home together since we live so close together. But as 3 minutes passed and he didn't arrive at my locker to meet me I knew something was wrong.

I began to walk to his locker, hopeful that he just had to grab a book or something from it, but as I turned the corner I knew that wasn't the case. I could see a small group of people circled around his locker, he towered over them and I could see he already had a bloody nose and his eye was beginning to swell.

"Oh shit!" I whisper-yell as I rush over, pushing my way through the small crowd to get to him. As I got to the front of the crowd I watched him throw a punch at Dennis, this asshole from my history class who relentlessly torments me day after day. I have to say it was pretty nice to see him get his shit rocked but knowing what he had done to Ranboo pissed me off.

"Break it up!" I yell, grabbing Ranboo by his arm, and attempting to pull him out of the crowd.
"Y/N c'mon I wasn't finished!" He exclaims, pulling back.
I roll my eyes and grab his shirt collar, pulling him down to my level, an extremely angered look adorning my face, "You. Are. Finished."

His face goes red and he simply nods, following me out of the crowd.
"You're really giving up that easy," Dennis laughs, "What a pussy!"
"Wait here," I say to Ranboo, glaring threateningly so that he'll actually follow my order.
I walk back into the small crowd and walk up to Dennis, punching his right in his nose, "Get a fucking life," I say before walking back over to Ranboo.

We walk to his car in silence, as we get in I turn to him and say, "Drive to my house, my parents aren't home and I don't want yours seeing you like this and worrying too much."
He simply mutters, "Okay," and begins to drive to my house.
The drive is short but filled with silence, we don't even bother to turn on the radio. The tension is thick and he can tell I'm pissed off.

When we arrive at my house we both set our bags down in my kitchen.
"Did you really think you could take him on and win?" I sigh as I grab the first aid kit out from underneath the sink.
"Yeah, I kinda did," Chuckles Ranboo.

I roll my eyes, "I don't get why you did it, I told you I could handle things myself, but no you decided to play the knight in shining armor."
"I was just trying to stick up for you, the way he treats you isn't right!"
"And neither is getting your ass kicked when you were told to stay out of it," I retort.
I probably shouldn't be so harsh, I mean the ass kicking was harsh enough, but it just sucks that he doesn't trust me enough to handle this shit on my own.

"I'm sorry," He says softly, "I just wanted to help, it made me so mad when you told me what he was doing and I just wanted to make sure that it didn't happen again."
I sigh, pushing back my hair, "It's okay, I know you just wanted to help, but please, just listen to me and trust me when I say I can take care of myself. I'm more capable than you'd think."
"I know. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, just please stop apologizing...Also we should probably wash you up, that cut could get infected."
"Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about that for a second," he says, walking over to the sink and turning on the faucet.
"You forgot that you were injured?" I ask, cocking my eyebrow.
"Would you believe me if I said I was concussed?" He jokes.
"I'd hope that you aren't considering the fact that you drove us here."

He chuckles and I grab a washcloth, wetting it for him, and mixing in some soap so that I can clean his wound. "This might hurt a bit."
He nods in understanding, hissing in pain as I begin to clean the cut on his cheek.
"Told you," I giggle, causing him to roll his eyes.

Once the cut is no longer bleeding I clean the blood from his nose off of his face and grab an antiseptic gel from the first aid kit, applying it to the cut and putting a minecraft bandaid on top of it. Then I grab an ice pack from the fridge for his eye, "You better be lucky I'm the one taking care of you and not the nurse."

He snorts, "Yeah, she probably would've just given me crackers and told me to go home."
I throw my head back, erupting into laughter, "Yeah, I swear that's the most they know to do."

We both laugh at our commentary but as our laughter dies down he turns to me, a serious look on his face, "What did you do to Dennis when you went back over there?" He asks.

"What you couldn't see?"
He shakes his head no.
"Oh, I just punched him and told him to get a life. He didn't even fight back, it was kinda cathartic."

He smiles proudly, "Well let's hope that he's got a broken nose, or at least that he'll leave you alone from now on."
"Or what?"
"Or I'll fight him again!"
"And I'll have to fix you up again..."
"I think I could win if I tried again," he retorts.

"I don't want you to try again, he's not worth the injuries."
"Well you are, I'd get beat up by him again everyday if it meant that he'd leave you alone."
I feel my cheeks begin to heat up and turn pink, "You're the best, 'Boo. I hope you know I'd do the same for you."
He smiles and rests his cheek on top of my head, wrapping his arm around me, pulling me into a side hug, "You're my best friend, Y/N."
"You're my best friend too, Ranboo."