𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒔

Two girls.

Two beautiful twin girls.

Born identical in looks.

Opposite in personality.

Or so it appears.

--------------------

Audrina and Katerina. Only born five minutes apart. Katerina being first.

She's always been the braver one. The protective one.

Audrina is more shy, calm, and collected. She's sweet and more level headed. Staying true to the meaning of her name, noble strength.

While her sister's name, Katerina, means pure. At first, she lived up to it, but as time went on, she grew more astray.

The girls were inseparable. They were together all the time and forever will be.

All Katerina wanted was to protect her younger sister. To make sure that no harm came her way. No matter what that meant. Even if that meant hurting her herself.

~ Bulgaria, March 12th, 1483

The two ten-year-old twin girls run through the big grass field, laughing and giggling.

"Katerina!" Audrina giggles as she flies her kite high in the air.

"Look out, Audrina!" Katerina warns when she notices her sister's kite about to get caught in a tree.

But it's too late. Her kite is already caught in the branches of a tall tree. "Oh, no," Audrina frowns, "Mama is going to be so mad at me, Katerina."

Katerina looks sadly at her sister, "no, she won't. Don't worry, Rina. I'll get it for you."

"Are you sure?" she asks, "it's really high."

Katerina nods, "of course I'm sure. Don't be scared," she leans in and kisses her sister on her cheek. "I'll be right back."

With a deep breath, Katerina begins climbing up the tall tree. She tugs on the string in an attempt to get it down closer which works.

"Be careful, Kat!"

"I am," she reassures her. Katerina makes her goal and maps out the steps she'll take before making them. And she finally retrieves the kite. Once Katerina returns to the ground she proudly presents her little sister with her new kite back.

"Thank you," Audrina smiles and hugs her sister. Katerina hugs her back, just as tightly.

~ Bulgaria, February 14th, 1489

Katerina digs her heel into the ground and bites the inside of her cheek as she waits for her sister to return from her date.

"Audrina is never this late," she thinks to herself, "something must be wrong."

As if on cue, Audrina rounds the corner, holding her dress in her hand so she can run easier. "Katerina!" she grins, "you will never believe what Daniel did for our date today!"

"You mean the shoe cobbler?" Katerina responds.

"He's cute," Audrina shrugs as the two girls begin to walk back to their village, "and romantic, respectful. I think I may be in love!"