Chapter 1

Anemone was overjoyed, claws twitching with not very well hidden excitement as Queen Coral hesitantly removed the leash around her neck, fussing over her daughter. 

The princess had been leashed to her mother most of her life, as the queen's loss and grief led to the overprotective figure that had dictated most of her daughter's life. It would be the first time in years that Queen Coral had allowed her daughter to leave her side without a battalion of experienced soldiers following behind, and quite possibly the first time in the young dragonet's life that she'd be free from the watchful eyes of Whirlpool, or the well hidden but still noticeable glare of Moray.

'Are you sure Anemone? It's very dangerous, you never know what might happen.' The regal dragon signaled with her scales, her eyes flickering to Princess Auklet, the newest addition to the royal family, then back to Anemone. 

She almost rolled her eyes at her mother, but stopped herself from doing so and instead flashed back in haste, 'I'm sure. Besides, that maid you assigned me,  Albacore or whatever, will be with me anyways. It's not like I'll be completely alone.'

Queen Coral settled down a little at the reminder of the younger dragon, who was silently observing from the door, her head slightly dipped in a show of silent respect. There were guards located outside the door as well, though none were located inside with them in order to keep as much privacy as possible for this conversation.

'Besides, what's the worst that could happen? I'm not going anywhere outside the castle, and none of the other tribes can come to the Deep Palace anyway, not to mention they'd have no reason to do so now that the war is over.' Anemone added, her wings itching to swim away from this room, away from her mother.

Queen Coral seemed to debate this one last time in her head before sighing out a small puff of bubbles, nodding at her daughter. 'Alright, but make sure to come back soon.'

The elder of her two daughters almost jumped up and did a somersault in the water, though she once again caught herself and instead gave her mother a grin that she returned half-heartedly, before sweeping herself out of the room, the servant assigned to her following quickly, her movements fluid.

The queen watched the two go, watching as the dark blue SeaWing exited and closed the door, bowing to the royalty in the room as she trailed after the princess. 

Queen Coral mulled over her decision one last time before placing her attention on Auklet, who was floating around, hanging on her leash as the current lightly pulled her around. She smiled warmly as she gently brought the little dragonet into her arms, trying to stop worrying about her elder daughter.

Princess Tsunami's departure with her friends during the chaos of a SkyWing ambush had been unexpected, and to Queen Coral was almost like a frostbreath in the face. She had been a bit out of it for days, questioning the nature of the protective stance she had been taking on her daughters for a while now. The council had begun to worry about their monarch, and took special measures to keep the queen's state under wraps.

She was grateful to them for it, and took special care in selecting a new member to take Whirlpool's place. She was unsure of the details of his death, but mourned the loss anyways, ignoring the glaring detail of Tsunami's escape being during the SkyWing attack being estimated to be around the same time Whirlpool had died in the same prison structure that they had been imprisoned in.

The SeaWing queen had placed them there in order to protect her eldest daughter and her friends, and where better to keep an eye on them than in an inescapable prison with a clean track record?

She had firmly believed that to be true, that Tsunami and her friends required protection and must be defended. They were only dragonets, after all. 

But against all odds and to Queen Coral's own shock, they had done it. They had stopped the war, announced the new queen to the world, and brought peace to Pyrriha. 

It proved to the queen that her daughter could handle herself, that Anemone too deserved what she had neglected to give her in her life. The freedom to see the world, the freedom to do as she wished and make her own choices. Queen Coral had a shocking revelation, and, though she did so quite hesitantly, commanded the employment of Albacore to be assigned to Anemone as a personal maid.

Even if she had made up her mind to allow Anemone to experience more of the world and see things for her own without her watching eyes, she couldn't just allow one of the princesses of the Sea Kingdom to go unsupervised. The war may have ended, but old rivalries and bad blood were still present, and she shuddered to think what could happen if a stray and bitter SkyWing veteran or a vengeful Mudwing found her all alone.

No, that wouldn't do at all.

Queen Coral snapped out of her thoughts as the baby dragon in her arms began randomly flashing her bioluminescent scales, the queen having a rare moment of relaxation as she flashed her scales back in return, making Auklet let out a bubbly giggle.

She would worry later, and give Anemone her little adventure. She would try trusting that maid this time, and if they came back safe, then perhaps she could call off the soldier observing them from afar. 

She was pulled away from her thoughts once more as Auklet did the closest impression of a laugh one could muster while underwater, and she allowed her tense body to relax again. Her heart melted at the sight of her youngest daughter trying in vain to chase after some bubbles that had been released into the water during her laughing fit, the queen finding peace in the innocent activity.

Perhaps allowing Anemone to roam around the palace with a couple of other loyal SeaWings wasn't so bad.