11 · pasta and secret glimpses

Start from the beginning

Without looking up, she asked me. "How's Daniel doing?"

I rolled my eyes, pretty sure she didn't notice me. "He's doing alright."

She didn't acknowledge me, so I'd pretend I c either. Instead, I went into the bedroom and texted Tina she was finally here.

I laughed when I read Tina's reply.

Tina: let's just hope she won't be a bitch. if she's still the bitter old bitch, i swear she deserves to choke on her dinner and have a seizure

Sara: does choking really cause seizures?!

Tina: i don't know but you get the point ;)

Sara: ur hilarious. ily. gtg rn

THE MOMENT I heard Margaret's laughter ringing through the kitchen, I got the hint that Daniel was back earlier than usual, because his momma came first before anything else.

I looked into the mirror on the closet and practiced a believable fake smile. Not too wide. Not like a grimace. Smile and then stretch the corners a bit up. Perfect.

When I came back to where the devil awaited, Daniel was already setting the food and talking to his mother like the momma's boy he was. He loved his mother too much that he picked Medicine because she said so, though he was more of a Marine Biology kind of dude. I couldn't imagine being this obedient and doing everything his mother said like a puppet, except, he hadn't dumped me like she wished him to. And I knew she held a personal vendetta against me, since Daniel defied her order for the first time for a mere girl she thought that I was.

I took delight in seeing her squirm and look at me like she wished I'd just disappear into thin air. My talent was disappointing my whole family, and that helped me become immune to other people's scrutiny.

Daniel grabbed a wine bottle from the fridge, which I didn't know when he bought it, and poured some for his mother. Then, when he saw me, he kissed me on the cheek and announced he was going for a shower.

I nodded and made myself comfortable at the table and when my gaze met Margaret's, her lips pressed in a thin line, and she focused her eyes on the other side of the wall.

She probably was waiting for me to beg for her majestic attention just so we could be friends. Huh, you wish. I'd mastered the art of ignorance back in college, back when people whispered shit behind my back about my not-so-great reputation.

Daniel entered back inside, adorning a white tee and grey sweat pants, and smiled a full-grown grin, revealing his pretty dimples.

Guilt churned my stomach, as I realized the godforsaken thing I did yesterday. Why did I cheat on him? But, now wasn't the time to over-think. I couldn't drop my act and let her win.

After saying our prayers, that was entirely her idea, this woman was mad religious, we picked out utensils and started dinner. I chewed oyster in silence, studying Margret pick her fork and pick a particular dish.

She widened her eyes in realization and looked at me in disgust.

"Did you forget I'm allergic to oysters?"

I wanted to say I didn't give a fuck, but Daniel beat me to it, looking apologetic.

"Sara tends to forget. Mama, just don't take it personal." Daniel threw me a confused look, and I shrugged.

I didn't forget. In fact, I knew that she was also allergic to roses and that she hated bananas for some reason.

Margaret stabbed her fork into the chicken and looked at me, as if my mere presence irritated her to the core. Likewise, ma'am.