"There is nothing I can do," Juniperpetal moaned helplessly. "Is it her last life?", I asked, the fur rising up along my pelt.

"No," Juniperpetal answered solemnly. Windstar's breathing became weaker, and weaker. With a shuddering gasp it stopped altogether.  We waited in silence, each passing second feeling like a moon. Her body went tense, and Windstar's eyes flew open. Hissing with pain, she unsteadily got to her paws. Juniperpetal leaned on one side, and I the other. We walked her over so she would be out off the way.

"Shadepool!," Briarfur came running over. I instantly froze at the sound if her voice. She was trembling, a large gash in her shoulder. "Wha-," I began, but was interrupted. "It's Blazestorm," she managed panting. I took off after her, Juniperpetal protesting in vain.

My brother was fighting a large muscular gray tom. Blazestorm was trying to drive Thistletail back. He was bleeding from a deep scratch in his side, as well as several other wounds. I raced towards him, then a grayish  blur slammmed into me.Flying sideways, I crashed into a tree. I looked up to see Bluewing, her teeth bared. Frustrated, I flung myself at her, but the lithe she cat just swerved to the right. I delivered a strong blow to her side. Wincing with pain, she slashed her claws across my shoulder. I spat blood out of my mouth, getting ready to go at her a second d time .

Briarfur suddenly came out of the brush knocking Bluewing over. Her pelt was matted with blood and she was suffering from several wounds.
Together we drove Bluewing back, acting as if we were apprentices back in battle training.

With one final swipe at Briarfur, the blue gray she cat fled. I gave a grateful blink to Briarfur. The image of a familiar ginger tom fendimg off a large gray warrior flashed acrosss my mind.With horror, I remembered Blazestorm. I ditched Briarfur and sprinted to where I last saw him.

I burst through the brambles to see Thistletail standing over a limp Blazestorm. My sprint lurched to a stop as I saw my littermate's still body.

His normally brilliant green eyes were now glazed and empty, and his pelt was now a dark crimson. Blood welled from a gash in his throat, and stained the grass. The fur along my spine rose, and my eyes were wide with horror and disbelief.

I let out an agonizing cry of despair, not caring that I had an audience.

I stiffened as I saw Thistletail smirk with pleasure. Blood was gathered on his paws. Blazestorm's blood. Anger bubbled in my throat, like I had never felt before. It took over my whole being, rearing like a snake.

I let out a shriek of fury and lunged for the cat that had murdered my brother. His eyes widened with surprise as I flew at him. I slashed repeatedly, striking wherever I could. My vision was washed in red and blood was pounding in my ears. I had him on his back as my claws dug into his  shoulder. "Please," he pleaded, struggling beneath me. For a second hesitated, wondering if it was worth it.  He killed your brother, and he didn't show him any mercy, a dark voice whispered in my mind.

"No," I growled, not bothering to hide the disgust in my voice. "You didn't show him any mercy, why should I show it to you?" Thistletail stayed silent, glaring at me, his eyes remorsless.

Suddenly he threw himself forward, using his momentum to get back to his paws, taking me by surprise. Reacting quickly, before he could do any more damage, I plunged my teeth into his throat, and we botj went down. Thistletail gasped for air, clawing at my dark pelt. Blood was gushing from his wound, filling my mouth. I held on until  the gray tabby stopped struggling. I dropped his lifeless body from my mouth.

I glared down at Thistletail, feeling a savage pleasure at the look of suprise still reflected in his eyes.

Paw steps sounded behind me, and I turned around. It was Snowpetal. "What happened, are you okay?", she whimpered, shock evident on her face. "He killed Blazestorm," I replied blankly, not wanting to meet her gaze. Her eyes darted to our brother's ginger pelt. "No!," she yowled. Snowpetal stared down at him, her eyes grief stricken.