Chapter 3

And so, you counted the hours, waiting for that special day to come.
During this time, you continued to plan and sketch out every possibility that might fall into place. Not only did you question if there were other guards, but if there were possible emergency protocols in place. If you two escaped, there was a chance this place would be on lockdown and you'd have to start over.
The both of you would have to do this without stepping outside those doors. The walls perhaps...

No. Not with the constant mining fatigue. Especially not when you were also being watched.

It had been the middle of the night when you followed the bright idea of covering the camera.
You stood on your cot, endlessly trying to toss your blanket over the damn thing. There had been multiple attempts and close calls in terms of falling, but you remained at the edge, getting ready to throw it again. The platform was wobbling under your weight but you remain focused.
One good toss and the blanket brushed against the corner, only for it to flutter to the floor again.

Exhaling, you stepped off and grabbed it. There had to be a better way to do this, otherwise you'll be doing this all night.
You tried again and again, but eventually gave up.
If it was taking you this long, then you might as well call it quits. You glanced around for chords, wires, anything that would hint at a way to turn the camera off. But alas, there was nothing.

The next thing you did was push the now emptied chest underneath the device, carefully stepping on it. You reached up and began prying it off the wall. A few minutes had passed with mindless fidgeting, nothing but the thought of him possibly seeing you crossing your mind.
Even if this didn't get you anywhere, you would at least be glad knowing you weren't being monitored for a few moments. All the times you wished the blinking would stop. The many moments you wondered if Sam was staring down at you, picking apart your very being through those lenses. It had always been unsettling, even if there was a good reasoning behind it.

The camera left the ceiling with a jolt, a heavy weight shifting in your hands. You glanced it over. The chords were still connected to it and were leading straight into the ceiling. You attempted to pry the device out, the wires working against you. But before you knew it, a few heavy knocks rang from your door. You froze in place once the slot was drawn, Sam's gaze glaring at you.
"I know exactly what you're trying to do," he stated. "Unless you want to sleep cold tonight, I suggest you knock it off."
You stood there for a minute, dumbfounded.

A moment passed before Sam's voice echoed into your room once more. "Go on, let it go." From this angle, you could see his netherite armor glowing, hints of purple flashing around him.
You did as you were told and he motioned you to one side of the room with his sword, unlocking the door once you were in your corner. You didn't even get a glance of the outside world as he slammed it shut, his netherite sword still fixed on you. He made his way to the corner and observed your marvelous work on the camera.

Your eyes landed on his form, an opportunity you had never been willing to take till now.
For the first time, you saw his freckles peaking out from under his mask. You heard from someone that when he was mad, they would glow when he hissed. His hair was a darker green than you had noticed, making his gold crown stick out like stars would in the sky.
The little things you never noticed because you were either hiding from him or you couldn't stand seeing him now.

Sometimes you wondered how different this situation would've been like if you had made an effort to talk to him or if you two were "friends" prior. Tommy always pushed you to meet Sam. But like always, you refused.
At least you wouldn't have to deal with the hurt feelings of betrayal. You couldn't care less about how anyone felt. It was no different for Sam; he was a complete stranger.

"Hm," his eyes trailed up the chords. "You're going to need to be moved to a different cell, it seems."
You looked at him. "Why?"
"Because you need to be monitored." His tone was cold.
"I don't want to be watched anymore," you admitted, irritation in your voice. "I don't like it."
He didn't even look at you, his hand still grasping the camera. "Well, you have to be. You and Dream both." A sigh left him and he took out a pair of handcuffs. "It's too risky to not do so, not when I know how you two are."

He motioned for you to come to him, but you stayed in place, refusing to move. This continued for a moment until he snatched your wrist, clasping a cuff around it. You made an attempt to push him away, but your arms felt weak. Periods of feeling lightheaded kept coming and going. Once he got the other cuff on, he yanked you towards him, heading to the door. "Come on."
He pushed you to walk in front of him, his grasp still on the chain connecting your hands. You could feel his stare boring into the back of your skull.
He lead you down a few corridors, the setting growing darker with every step. The place had gotten colder and the cells were more ominous than your own. Your footsteps echoed across the walls, until you spoke up.

"How's Dream?"
You hadn't mentioned him since you had asked Sam to see him. A part of you wanted to see him for the company— to relish in your past accomplishments. But you knew he was probably in a worse state than you were.
Perhaps his isolation was almost over.
"He's just fine," Sam answered. "Please face forward."
You did as told at the sight of his sword and sighed. Chills ran up your spine from the heavy atmosphere.

This was complete bullshit. Being here and having to listen to him. You hated it all.
If only you or Dream had killed Tubbo sooner.

"I hope you know you're not keeping me here."
He hummed in amusement at your words. "I see."
Emotionless, as usual too. It pissed you off.

"You know, I wish I killed Tommy when I had the chance," you said. He didn't say anything, but you continued. "Do you really think those disks will get your sad nation anywhere? He was better off in exile."
Sam was still silent as you pressed on, his grip gently guiding you down a different hall. "As for Tubbo, he wasn't a good leader anyways. It's safe to say Dream and I were of great help in getting rid of that shitty place you called L'manburg and its leaders." You chuckled. "What a perfect envision of Schlatt and Wilbur they both were."
As you spoke your mind, you both continued walking until he suddenly slammed your back against the wall, the feeling of a blade pressed against your throat. His forearm was digging into your chest as he pushed you into the obsidian. Your back ached in soreness.
"Just remember something, (Y/N)," his breath was warm against your skin. Your gaze landed on the floor as he leaned closer.

"Unlike Dream, you have nothing to offer. I could kill you right now and it wouldn't matter."

He yanked you off the wall and tossed you to the floor. Pain surged through your body as you landed on your ribs, dizziness striking your vision. You shook in pain as you shifted onto your knees, your arms pushing you up. Sam stepped beside you, not saying anything.
Then you yelped in pain as a harsh kick reached your stomach, leaving you to choke on your own air. Many thoughts entered your mind. Thoughts of murder and wanting to blow up the fucking prison once you were out of this mess.
The amount of pain and humiliation he was putting you through would be given to him. Except, it'll be much worse. You swore of it.

"Stand up."
You glared at him through the strands of your hair. "Go fuck yourself."
He chuckled. "You're just making this worse, you know."
"I don't care."

At that response, he grabbed one of your wrists and yanked you up. Stumbling, you leaned against the wall. He didn't even give you another moment to think, as you two were already off back down the corridors. Everything was sore and your head was pounding.
At this rate, it didn't even matter where he was taking you.

Because someday, you were going to kill him.