1. headache

welcome to the hell that will be this book, let's hope you enjoy your stay!

➽───────────────

it is quite surprising that it took y/n a whole twenty-five years to figure out she would never wake up of her own accord. whether it be the shrieking of her mother or her little sister, octavia, barging into her room, not one day of her life was she able to sleep in.

this time, she was woken by a combination of both. her day was happily started with the slam of her door against her bedroom wall, then another as it was closed.

grumbling to herself, y/n nuzzled her face deeper into her pillow, trying to muffle the sounds of her mother screeching at octavia through the door. she listened to the steps nearing her bed and let out a soft 'oof ' when octavia flopped down on her legs.

finally deciding to begin what she felt wouldn't be the greatest day, y/n slowly sat up, rubbing the sleep from her e/c eyes as much as possible before finally drawing her gaze to her sister. she noticed the less than happy scowl on octavia's face and tugged the beanie that had been pulled down to cover her sister's eyes upwards.

"what's wrong?" y/n hummed, setting her chin in her palm. octavia glanced at her and let out a long sigh, crossing her arms over her chest. after a few moments of silence, y/n rolled over to lay next to her, joining her in staring at the ceiling.

"can i take a guess?" her only response was a grunt, which prompted her to continue. "my guess is that dad is gone, probably fucking around with blitzø, and mom is taking her anger out on you."

a few more seconds of silence filled the room until another sigh left octavia's beak. the teenager rolled over to face y/n and wrapped her arms around her, pressing her face into her neck. y/n simply hummed, hugging her back and running her clawed hand through her sister's feathery hair.

"i hate this fucking family." she heard octavia mutter, causing her to chuckle. "i feel you there. let's just hope it'll get better, and if it doesn't.. i'll take you to stylish occult and buy you anything you want."

octavia was quick to sit up, y/n could practically see her pink eyes sparkling with happiness. "really? you mean it?" y/n nodded and gave her a close-eyed smile. she opened her mouth to say something, but was quickly interrupted by the third slam of her door that morning.

"i'm starting to get a headache from this shit.." she grumbled beneath her breath. upon turning her head, she realized it was her father who had made the loud entrance.

a big grin spread across his face as he crossed the room in only a few paces thanks to his long-ass legs. "well, good morning, my darlings! i have some very good news for you two!" he chirped, clasping his hands together giddily.

y/n and octavia exchanged doubtful looks. "oh, really, dad?" she tilted her head, looking up at him with a half-hearted attempt at curiosity. "the harvest moon festival is in a couple days, and i figured, since you two haven't been to the wrath ring, we could all go together! the festival seems to be fun among the imps there, so you might enjoy it as well y/n!" he said, his red eyes glowing with excitement.

y/n winced a bit. she knew her father meant well, but her species being pointed out as different from her family's was not very pleasant. i do appreciate that he actually thought of me, though.

while y/n was busy thinking it over, octavia rolled her eyes. "i'd rather suffer here than go to that dusty shithole." as she rose to her feet and began to walk to the door, she glanced back at y/n and called, "if you go, bring me back a skull or something cool."

flashing her a thumbs-up, y/n looked back to her father and smiled. "i guess a bit of traveling couldn't hurt. will it just be us? is mom coming?" she knew it was fruitless to ask, seeing as her mother and father's relationship was pretty much unfixable at that point, but she couldn't find it in herself not to try.

her father simply laughed, which lowered her spirits a bit and tugged her lips downwards. "no, no, of course not. buut, our favorite little assassins will be coming!" just like that, y/n's excitement peaked as she smiled brightly. "i.m.p? really?"

her father looked just as excited as he nodded vigorously. "yes, so start packing!" with that, he left his room, assumingly to prepare his things as well. y/n sighed, looking around her messy room with a half smile. "this'll be good for you, y/n. you can't stay trapped here forever." she reassured herself then hopped out of bed, heading into the bathroom to take a shower before she began packing.

➽───────────────❥

just like that, she had finished packing. she figured, since they would apparently only be staying a few days, she should pack light, so she was done quicker than she thought she'd be at first. singing the loo loo land song that had been stuck in her head for weeks, she strolled down the hallway, giving a sympathetic smile to the imps that were cleaning up the daily broken pots.

she blamed their large work load on her mother, who seemed to insist on taking her anger out on their decorations. clicking her tongue in annoyance, she met her father by the door.

"so, how are we getting there?" she asked, looking up at the giant owl she called her father. "actually, you should be asking how you will be getting there." seeing the confusion on y/n's face, he continued.

"i'll be heading out tomorrow. the reason i told you today is because blitzy and the others are driving to one of their family's houses. speaking of which.." he opened the door for her upon the sound of obnoxious honking.

a smile graced her features as y/n spotted blitzø's grey and red van with the i.m.p logo messily painted on the side. blitzø was hanging halfway out of the window, waving at y/n wildly, which she returned with just as much enthusiasm.

she ignored her father's comments on 'how hot his blitzy looked' and began walking towards the van. y/n gave him a smile and a wave. before she got in next to moxie and millie, she yelled over her shoulder, "see you soon! make sure octavia eats and hydrates! love you!"

as she slid the van's door shut, she was greeted with a bone-crushing hug from millie. "hey there, hon! it's been too long since we've seen you!" she cooed, only stopping when she realized y/n's soul was slowly leaving her body. "hey, millie! i missed you too. hi, moxie!" she grinned at the couple, who both returned the smile. turning her head to the front seat, she waved at loona, who somehow saw it while she was looking at her phone and waved back.

"say hi to me too, dipshit!" blitzø yelled over his obnoxiously loud music, making the imps in the backseat laugh. y/n rested her cheek on her hand as she gazed out the window, a content sigh leaving her lips as she hald listened to the chatter of her friends. she wondered whether she would meet anyone interesting.

she, surprisingly, had never been to the wrath ring, but heard many stories about it. she always had liked southern cultures from the books she read. maybe she'd meet a cowboy! she chuckled, biting her lip to muffle it as she thought, thank god i didn't say that out loud.

➽───────────────❥

i hope this is alright! finished this at 2am so uh if there are any errors you'll have an explanation for why that is. thank you, more chapters soon 👀