10 : Lizard Unmasked

Start from the beginning

Gwen raises her eyebrows in bemusement, the smirk on her face lingering. "You sure? He did sneak into your room at two in the morning."

Mae passes a death glare towards her, but it doesn't get Gwen perturbed at all. Mae shakes her head swiftly, trying to control the red in her cheeks but they don't seem to want to leave anytime soon.

"Anyway," Mae quickly says, clearing her throat. "Do you know where he is now?"

Gwen nods, "He said he wanted to meet Dr. Connors, but he will most likely get kicked out. He doesn't meet anyone when it's not his working hours."

Mae raises her eyebrows at the newfound information. "Dr. Connors, huh? That reminds me... he didn't call me after dad's accident." She frowns.

"Oh yeah," Gwen says. "He and your dad are pretty close, aren't they?"

Mae nods, "There's no way that he didn't find out about the accident. It's all over the news."

"Hey, no need to stress about it." Gwen comfortingly says. "He's probably too sad himself to even say anything."

Mae only nods. Probably..

The chime of Mae's call ringtone breaks their conversation, the honey haired girl's attention instantly falls on her phone. She raises an eyebrow in amusement upon seeing Peter's name forged on her screen and quickly taps on the green button.

"Hello?"

"Um, hey. I need to meet you, both of you. I think I may have found a lead on who the Lizard is... scratch that, I'm sure I know who he is. Can we meet?"

The scurry of the sudden information gets Mae to a loss of words. She stares at Gwen wide-eyed, who raises her eyebrows expectantly.

"Uh, hello? Mae?"

"Yeah!" Mae almost screams into her phone, making her presence known. "Um are you sure you found him? How did you even do it?"

"Yes and I don't think we have much time on our hands so we have to plan on something now."

Mae stands up from her seat as though that can calm her down. A realisation struck on her like silent thunder. She is about to unmask who the Lizard is; she is about to find out the culprit behind her father's attempted murder. Mae struggles to exhale, her hand slightly shaking as she holds her phone close to her ear. Gwen looks at her panicked state and takes her phone from Mae's hand, taking charge of the call.

"Peter? This is Gwen." The blonde's forehead crinkles as she listens to Peter over the phone with deep concentration, her eyes widening as she learns the news too.

"Come over." She instructs. "And for God's sake use the elevator."

Ten minutes later, Mae, Peter and Gwen gather in the girls' temporary shared room. Mae and Gwen perch on the bed while Peter walks back and forth restlessly. He faces the wall, takes a deep breath, and twirls around to meet the expectant faces on Gwen and Mae. And then--

"Dr. Connors."

"What?"

"Dr. Connors. It's him. He's the Lizard."

Mae raises her eyebrows in disbelief. "It's not Dr. Connors. I know him personally-- and he would never hurt my father!" She defensively states.

Gwen raises a hand. "Wait a second," She says. "What do you mean he is the Lizard? You mean he transformed himself?"

Peter nods his head profusely, mumbling a soft 'yes'.