𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈: Return of the Reaper

Start from the beginning

     "Lyra Jupiter! For the crimes of treason, kidnapping, and attempted murder, I hereby sentence you to death."

͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙   .·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

LYRA WILL NOT let herself become hopeless.

     As she sits there in the gloomy cell, she clings to that hope with all the power that she has left. Clutching in the deepest part of her where not even Pike can snuff it out as if it is a candle. Hope had seen her through the terrible, terrible night that had stretched onwards for what felt like eons. Hope will see her through this cruel day and it will help them all survive.

     Because, as she never is, she is not alone even in her most malevolent hour. Lincoln, Sinclair, and Kane had been by her side all night. But now the sun has risen, the warm morning rays oozing through the gaps in the ceilings and walls, streaking the cell in dust gold. And yet beyond all that honeyed warmth is only depthless darkness; she tries her best to push through it.

     "Nyko doceri yu chek."

     Nyko taught you well.

     Lifting her head from her hands, Lyra curls her knees into her chest to look out across the cell. The Trikru woman, Denae, is wrapping one of the other Grounder's legs in gauze. Lincoln had been the one who'd spoken to her, standing overhead with his arms braided across his chest.

     Denae doesn't glance up. "Nyko de mra disse she kashi."

     Nyko got out just in time.

     Crouching down to be eye-level with his people, Lincoln grasps their shoulders bracingly. "Ste yuj."

     Stay strong.

     "You inspire them," remarks Kane lowly as Lincoln crosses the cell, shuffling towards where Kane is sat across a small bench, his shoulders slumped in defeat. Lyra is just a few feet away, curled against the wall.

     Lincoln exhales slowly, coming to sit beside Kane. "I'm not gonna let you give up, either."

     "Not much left to fight for," admits Kane and his hand, quivering, scarred, and faintly warm curls around Lyra's shoulder. She does not brush him away. "Pike's still at large. He's going to fight a war to get us all killed. And I've gotten a child sentenced to death."

     "S'OK," says Lyra and she gives him a humorless smile. "It's not my first time."

     He flinches. "I owe you an apology, Lyra. For everything that happened to you on the Ark. If I hadn't arrested you for your mother. . . everything would've been different. I'm truly sorry."

     And he does sound truly apologetic. He seems exhausted when he lifts his head to look her in the eyes, his wrinkles more prominent than ever.

     "Don't be," she says quietly. "Not all of it was bad. Some of it was. . . good. I wouldn't change any of it."

    That seems to offer some relief to Kane, and though his shoulders sag further, it's not from the weight of what he's done. Her lips curl upwards.