⤷ 14| THE LION AND THE SERPENT

Start from the beginning

As the first Quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor versus Slytherin, drew nearer, their DA meetings were put on hold because June insisted on almost daily practices. The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were taking a lively interest in the outcome, for they, of course, would be playing both teams over the coming year; and the Heads of House of the competing teams, though they attempted to disguise it under a decent pretence of sportmanship, were determined to see their own side victorious. June realized how much Professor McGonagall cared about beating Slytherin when she abstained from giving them homework in the week leading up to the match.

"I think you've got enough to be getting on with that at the moment," she said loftily. Nobody could believe their ears until she looked directly at June, Angelina, Alicia, Fred and George and said grimly, "I've become accustomed to seeing the Quidditch Cup in my study, boys and girls, and I really don't want to have to hand it over to Professor Snape, so use the extra time to practice, won't you?"

Severus was no less obviously partisan; he had booked the Quidditch pitch for Slytherin practice so often that the Gryffindors had difficulty getting it to play. It wasn't until June played the Godfather Card in one of their many discussions about it, that he managed to give them some time, too.

Sometimes it came in handy that she had him as her godfather.

Juniper felt optimistic about Gryffindor chances (though she would never tell her teammates that); they had, after all, never lost to Slytherin. Admittedly, Ron was still not performing to Oliver's standard, but he was working extremely hard to improve. His greatest weakness was a tendency to lose confidence after he'd made a blunder; if he let in one goal he became flustered and was therefore likely to miss more. On the other hand, June had seen Ron make some truly spectaculars saves when he was on form; during one memorable practice, he had hung one-handed from his broom and kicked the Quaffle so hard away from the goal hoop that it soared the length of the pitch and through the center hoop at the other end; the rest of the team felt his save compared favorably with one made recently by Barry Ryan, the Irish International Keeper, against Poland's top Chaser, Ladislaw Zamojski. Even Fred had said that Ron might yet make him and George proud, and that they were seriously considering admitting he was related to him, something they assured him they had been trying to deny for four years.

The only thing really worrying June was how much Ron was allowing the tactics of the Slytherin team to upset him before they even got on to the pitch. June herself had gotten used to it by now. With her being Head Girl the comments had even stopped. They knew she could deduct points whenever she felt like it.

But Ron had never endured that and June could tell it bothered him. And so she had taken him aside on the morning of the match. His face had an abnormal green color and his eyes were wide.

"Ron," June told him gently but firmly, "you will do fine. I believe in you. I know you can do this. If you couldn't, I wouldn't have put you on the team. You're our Keeper and you'll do fine. Hell, you'll do great. You only need to believe it yourself, too."

This seemed to make him feel slightly better and June gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Don't forget it."

When the team entered the Great Hall, they received a rousing welcome at the Gryffindor table, where everyone was wearing red and gold, but far from raising Ron's spirits the cheers seemed to sap the last of his morale; he collapsed on to the nearest bench looking as though he were facing his final meal. June took a mental note to check up on him later.