Chapter 10

He dove into the lake and looked for Claire. There was little moonlight, and he couldn't see much, but then he saw something. It was a faint shimmer at the bottom of the lake. He looked closer and saw that it was Claire's necklace. He picked her up and resurfaced, carefully holding her head above the water. Rexy, obviously disappointed that she couldn't find her dinner, went back to the woods. But not before letting out an earsplitting roar. When Owen saw that they were safe, he carried her out of the water and placed her on the grass. "Come on Claire, come on." He whispered. He tried to give her CPR, but it wasn't working. "No, no, no!" He yelled. He was losing her, and nothing was working. He couldn't revive her. He tried to give her mouth-to-mouth, but no results. He listened for her heartbeat, but there was none. Tears welled up in his eyes. She was gone, and there was nothing he could do. He held her close to him and processed the fact that he would never see her again. Tears streamed down his face as kissed her on her cheek one last time. He laid her on the ground, remembering he had to tell Maisie that Claire was gone. He turned towards the direction that she had run in and started to walk when he heard the sound of someone coughing. "Ow-en..." Claire coughed. "Claire....." He said, kneeling next to her. "I thought I lost you!" He said, beyond relieved. He pulled her into a soft kiss but was interrupted by Claire wincing. "What's wrong?" He asked her, deeply concerned. "It's my stomach." She said. Owen saw that the front of her shirt was covered in blood! He realized that when the T-Rex hit her, its tail whipped her abdomen hard. He ripped off a piece of his shirt and tied it around her stomach to stop the bleeding. "Don't move, okay." He told her. He picked her up and was careful not to touch her stomach. "You're going to be fine." He said. He brought her to the cave, where he was met by a very concerned Maisie. "What happened?" She asked Owen. He didn't know how to explain that Claire had almost drowned and lost a lot of blood to a nine-year-old, so he said nothing. They spent the night in the cave and went back to the trailer in the morning. They were cautious because they didn't know how many dinosaurs were still in the area. It was just like being back at the park.