II. The Idiot's Lantern

The Doctor's P

The Doctor's P.O.V:

"Start from the beginning, tell me everything you know." D.I Bishop tells me. He stands over me as I have sat on the other side of the Bishop's desk. "Well... for starters... I know you can't wrap your hand around your elbow and make your fingers meet." I tell him seriously.

"Don't get clever with me. You were there today at Florizel Street, and now breaking into this establishment. Now you're connected with this. Make no mistake." D.I Bishop tells me, pointing at me.

"Well, the thing is, Detective Inspector Bishop..." I say.

"How do you know my name?" D.I Bishop asks, cutting me off.

"It's... written inside your collar." I tell him. "Bless your mum. But, I can't help thinking, Detective Inspector, you're not exactly doing much detective inspecting. Are you?" I ask him.

"I'm doing everything in my power." he tells me.

"All you're doing is grabbing those faceless people and hiding them as fast as you can. Don't tell me, orders from above, hmm? Coronation Day... The eyes of the world are on London Town... so any sort of problem just gets swept out of sight." I tell him. I spin from side to side in the chair, completely relaxed with Rose stood over my shoulder. Bishop looks slightly irritated that I already know what's going on. "The nation has an image to maintain." D.I Bishop says.

"Doesn't it drive you mad? Doing nothing? Don't you wanna get out there and investigate?" I ask him.

"Course I do. But..." he begins before sitting down. "With all the crowds expected, we haven't got the manpower. Even if we did... this is beyond anything we've seen. I just don't know anymore. Twenty years on the force... I don't even know where to start. We haven't the faintest clue what's going on."

"Well... that could change." I tell him.

"How?" he asks me confused because I stand and look down at D.I Bishop.

"Start from the beginning. Tell us everything you know."

We move over towards the large map that is on a stand, Rose grabbing onto my hand because she's slightly scared about everything going on. "We started finding them about a month ago. Persons left sans visage. Heads just... blank." D.I. Bishop says.

"Is there any sort of pattern?" Rose asks as D.I. Bishop examines a file on a nearby desk. "Yes, spreading out from North London. All over the City. Men, women, kids... grannies... the only real lead is there's been quite a large number in..." he begins.

"Florizel Street." I say, cutting him off before a knock is ahead on the door causing the three of us to look up and a Policeman walks in with someone in front of him. "Found another one, sir." the Policeman says. I stare at the girl with her head covered. The yellow skirt showing with a pair of black heels on her feet. "Oh, er, good man, Crabtree. Here we are, Doctor..." D.I. Bishop. I drop the files on the table and let go over Rose's hand, not wanting to believe it. "Take a good look. See what you can deduce."