Chapter 152: Battle of Ice and Fire (Part 4)

Jon spins and turns, moving left and right at a fast pace eliminating newly risen wights blocking his path. Nearby, Samwell, Jaime, Brienne, Grey Worm, Tormund, Gendry and Mya pant to catch their breath before springing into action to fend off a resurrected undead such as Qhono, Eddison and Lyanna – whose eyes pop open with milky blue irises, piercing and lifeless ones. Others did the same with Jon pressing forward with Longclaw in hand and reached the courtyard; hacking through multiple attacking wights, not stopping for a moment until he entered a passageway. Once inside, he heard a voice through the screams and shouts.

"Your Grace, where are you going?! Daveth, get back here! Wait!"

Jon turned to see Daveth charging at multiple wights in front of him, swinging and twirling Stormbringer into the air, cutting down all in his path despite his physical condition. The White Wolf momentarily paused at the Young Stag's aggressive push, though he recognized the pathway he was taking. Daveth was heading towards the godswood by himself! But sensing there was trouble nearby, Jon glanced right to catch a slight glimpse of the Night King accompanied by its White Walker lieutenants heading in the same direction. Bran! He realized with a mix of fear and determination. Jon knew this wasn't good and rushed to join Daveth, dispatching those that try to stop them and dodging falling debris. He stumbled momentarily, but regains his footing and lurches through an iron gate that he slams shut behind him before launching further down the hall.

"*Raaaaaarrrh!*"

"DRAGON!" Oberyn shouted.

Jon looks up and spins before spotting the undead Viserion landing in the courtyard, raining down blue fire on the allied forces – the White Wolf barely escaped the torrent of blue flame blasting through the hallway. He soon finds himself quickly being pressed against a wall, panting and exhausted before peering around the corner to see Viserion sitting atop the castle walls. Fire burns everywhere and the undead dragon roars and shifts its decaying body, causing further devastation before sliding down into the courtyard itself.

The White Wolf pushes himself forward, slaying a wight and turns to run as Viserion unleashes another vortex of blue flame at Jon. Fortunately, he turns a corner to avoid the attack and presses against another wall. Jon had to get to the godswood and fast, but he couldn't move with Viserion blocking his path.

"*Raaaaaaaaaarrh!*" Viserion roared again. The undead dragon's head peers on the other side of the broken wall where Jon is hiding.

The White Wolf steels himself and stands up, facing the dragon with hands and sword at his side, yelling out a challenging cry – staring a long, cold hard glare into Viserion's glowing icy blue eyes as it opened its great jaws to unleash another blast. Bellowing with a mighty roar, Viserion reared itself up to attack until a dragonglass scorpion blot flew right past them – breaking Viserion's concentration. The undead dragon growled and roared again, turning its head to confront its new attackers: Oberyn Martell and two of the Sand Snakes, Obara and Nymeria. All three had gotten Viserion's attention and jumped down onto the courtyard, spears, daggers and whip ready.

"We'll hold him off!" Nymeria called out. "Help the others!"

"But you'll die—" Jon tried reasoning with them.

"IF THE NIGHT KING WINS, THEN WE ALL DIE! NOW GET GOING, SNOW!" Oberyn roared, twirling his spear ready to attack.

Jon hesitated for a moment, not wanting to leave anyone behind – but turned and sprinted towards the Godswood and didn't look back. As he turned and neared the location of the Godswood, the last thing he hears are the distant screams of Oberyn, Obara and Nymeria and Viserion unleashed a torrent of blue flame. The undead dragon roared in triumph and scampered off in the courtyard, looking for new victims.