IX. The Nightwalkers Pack

Start from the beginning

"That was way too close," I said to myself.

Eric's head pops up out of nowhere, "What's close?"

I push his face back, "Go back to sleep." Surely enough, he fell asleep.

On Saturday, as I predicted, I had my sunglasses on. Unfortunately, my head was not in the clouds. With each movement, my eyes can't stop searching for any indication of trouble.

The longer I'm out in the open, the more anxious I feel.

"Hey-"

I screamed, and the water fell out of my cup.

It was Brenda. Her face scrunches up in what seems to be pain. She probably has a minor headache from the night before. "Chill, girl. It's me." She sat on the blanket beside me. I've been hiding on the blanket, near my parents, behind a large tree.

"How was last night?" I notice Brian at the adult picnic table with his head in his hands.

"Suck."

"Huh?"

"He sucks!" Brenda fake cries. "He's so hot, but he sucks in bed."

"Dang."

"We didn't even get to screw," she says. "He cum all over my tits then fell asleep." She shoves her face into her hands. "I'm done. I'm so...so...done!"

"With sex?"

"With high school guys." Brenda throws herself down, "Call me when I'm in college." She fell asleep.

The rest of the day was as unsettling as the next. I cover my face with the hoodie as I walk through the parking lot with my parents.

"What's going on with you?" Mom asks.

"You always tell me to be aware of my surroundings. Now that I'm more aware, you think there is something wrong with me?" When dad presses the unlock button, I leap inside. I'm safe for another day. I hope I won't live like this for the rest of the school year.

When I notice Jenny with a group of guys, my heartbeat rages.

I count the unfamiliar heads.

Well, half of them are familiar since they go to my school. Who doesn't know the faces of werewolves that go to their school?

Then, there were five unfamiliar faces.

Five males.

I missed the guy's face last night, but he should be one of them.

Unless everything is inside my head and I'm worrying for absolutely no reason.

I chew on my fingernails as my eyes scan the group that walks through the parking lot. I would revisit my memories, but I was wasted, and it was dark. The flashy light and loud music didn't help either.

The guy in a dark jacket stops.

He doesn't seem like it when he stands with a group of tall males, but he is a bit taller than them - just a tiny bit.

I don't even know how I could tell.

I wanted to see his face, but his back was turned towards me.

Without warning, he turns in my direction.

Instinctively, I lower myself. I did it so quickly. I missed his face. To be honest, I don't want to.

"Dad. I want to go home. My favorite show is on," I said it so fast, I almost fainted.

Dad's eyebrows furrowed together, but he didn't question my strange behavior. Or maybe, it's because I act this way so often that it seems like it's my normal behavior.