I grit my teeth, seething, "what kind of loyalty could she have?"

"She's good on her word. She offered to keep it quiet. She'd be willing to lie low for a bit so you could claim you did it, then be able to leave the country with the bounty until whoever hired you either dies or finds out."

"And be known for being the coward of an assassin who couldn't do her job? I don't think so."

"Well, the offer still stands," with the flick of their wrist, a card flies towards me and I catch it. "Don't bother trying to track the number, it's only active when I'm messaged. And I move a lot. Let me know when you change your mind." They set the gun on the table, then slip through the window.

I stare at the card. Digits line the paper, but they're not numbers I recognize. A cipher. This is meant to intimidate me. They think if I can't solve a cipher, I can't be good enough to work with them. 

Well, for one, I truly cannot solve ciphers to save my life. But that doesn't define my ability to get the job done.

It only means I have to find someone who can crack ciphers.

~

"Iris, dahling," Jade grabs my shoulders and plants a kiss on both cheeks. "They're inside, they aren't happy though." She smiles reassuringly and I chuckle.

"After the day I've had, they'll just want to try me," I smile and she nods at the bouncer. She nods in return, grabbing the rope and pulling it aside. 

I pat her chest, "I like the suit."

Walking into the club, I feel the early migraine already developing, and I sigh as the beat throbs in my chest and feet. As tempting as it is to drop everything and relax, I have a job to get done. My purse doesn't carry much more than a spare dagger, and I pat the purse once more to make sure it's still there.

"Iris!" A voice calls from one of the second-floor tables and I lift my eyes.

They're in a suit today and I allow a smile to split my lips. They look great. 

I turn towards the stairs and take my time waltzing up. Wren has a sweet spot for me, even if they won't admit it. Their glass of whiskey is hardly touched, a bad sign.

"I've missed working with you," their eyes rake over my body, "you look ravishing, as always." They raise their glass towards me, then down half of it.

I slip into their lap, my dress draped over their legs. "I need a favor."

"Of course you do," they kiss my neck and I curl my lips, trying not to feel the way they make me feel.

I slip the paper onto the table by their whiskey and they sigh, the heat right under my jaw.

"Will there ever come a day where you visit because you miss me?" Their hand strays to my side and they pull me closer. I feel my heart race as their lips connect right where my jaw meets my neck and I try to keep my breathing normal, their other hand grabbing the paper. My hand is tangled in their hair by the time they open their eyes to look at the paper. 

"Oh my," their words are soft against my skin and I feel butterflies dance. They pull away and I try to compose myself. "My my I haven't read this in a while," their eyes dance over the characters and I search them for a sign of recognition.

"Can you translate it?"

"Sort of. Not really. J-" they hesitate, squinting- "Jordan, I believe. Jordan Greene."

"The brat is related to her," I mumble and Wren glances at me, then back at the card.

"The rest is numbers..." they squint, then shake their head. "I'm sorry, darling, I can't read those. I was never taught these numbers." I huff in frustration as they return the card to me.

"That's alright." My face is flushed with rage and my mind clouded with disappointment. After all Wren has done for me, it's impossible to stay mad at them, but I'm severely disappointed they couldn't decipher the number. I have something to say to that rotten-

"Iris, hello?" Wren grabs my arm before I can start down the stairs. They smile, turning me to face them, "you didn't let me finish. I can't decipher this, but I know someone who can," they pull their phone out and make a call. "Hello? I have a..." their eyes rake over me again and they chuckle "...customer here needing a cipher."

The other voice is quiet and serious, and Wren nods slowly. "Okay, I'll send her to you. Send me your location."

They hang up and kiss my cheek, "with that as my payment, I'll have the location forwarded to you momentarily."

I blush as they return to their table, then check my phone to be sure their message came through. "Thank you, Wren."

"Anytime, my dear. And please, do visit when you next are free," they wink and I feel my face warm. 

"Of course."

fdshgdfsjgdfsflk;gdbgjksdkjl;fhj

so

who likes Wren...

I DO because they're inspired by a discord friend of mine and I love them and they are gay so ofc I love them

anygay

HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT SO FAR IDK IF ITS RLLY GOOD OR RLLY BAD BUT YE THANKS FOR STICKING WITH ME THIS FAR

LOVE YOU GUYS

*mwuah*