Chapter 3

She turned to look at him. "What? No, I couldn't. No, I'll find somewhere to hide from her." She tried to leave, but he wouldn't budge. "Stay. We have an extra bed here. She wouldn't dare look here for you. Stay, Mother would be fine with it." And after looking into his caring eyes, she lost the argument.

Part of her felt guilty, but it was so nice to be away from her stepmother, and the chores, and that horrible basement.

She heard the boy and his mother talking and she heard the boy thanking her for letting he stay, and she felt so relieved she'd met such kind people.

His mother had made hot soup for dinner, and Magenta was amazed to see a full bowl of it at her place at the table. "Is this really for me? I can actually have it?" she said, gleaming. "Why, of course! the mother replied. Magenta enjoyed every spoonful.

When it was late, Mother said, "Time for bed, young ones." and the boy went to his room while Magenta spent some time admiring all the antiques Mother had collected. Candles, teacups and teapots, small statues. "Beautiful, aren't they?" said the Mother from behind Magenta, frightening her. "Didn't mean to frighten you, dear, I just noticed you looking." Magenta just smiled at the frail lady. "Yes, they are beautiful." 

They talked for a while, getting to know each other. Magenta admired the woman, and she reminded her of her own mother. The boy's mother looked at her fondly, like the daughter she never had.

Finally, Magenta went to her room. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get to sleep. Images of that horrid basement, her stepmother, and the fear of being found swirled around her head. Fighting her tears, she lit a candle and walked down the hallway, and almost smacked straight into the boy.

"Oh, gosh!" She exclaimed. "Sorry!"

He looked at her, and asked, "What are you doing up so..?" He cut himself off, by noticing the tears in her eyes. She looked at him blankly. "What are you doing?" He didn't answer, he just took the candle from her, put it on the chest of drawers, went back to her room, sat on her bed, and held her. Before she knew what she was doing, she put her head on his shoulder and sobbed. He just rubbed her back and held her in his arms, and she looked up at him, and in that moment, she knew she was falling in love with the boy.

-New chapter will be posted tonight. Hope you like this chapter. (: -