Drinks and Braids

As you stumbled out of Deanna's house, you realized you were a bit tipsy. Maybe quite a bit tipsy...

The last time you had drank alcohol must have been that night you spent at the CDC, but you had decided that since you were at a party with drinks available and you had to interact with nosy people that you didn't know, you deserved to have some drinks. You had ended up drinking more than you had initially thought, the alcohol had soon gone to your head, but that just made it easier to have fun and talk to people, and so you had kept drinking and drinking

Maybe you should have stopped more than a couple of drinks ago...you had turned into a giggling, oversharing mess, which you'd regret as soon as you were sober enough to think about it. Now everything was spinning and you felt like you were burning, the reason why you had decided to go out and get some air.

You spotted Daryl at the end of the street and you smiled. Your favorite person was joining the party! You had thought he wasn't coming. He was your crush too, had been for a long while, though nobody knew...well, not until you had started talking about him at the party, not that you had realized it.

Daryl wasn't moving, though, and so you decided to go get him. You stumbled down the stairs of Deanna's house, tripping a bit at the last one... because of those new boots you weren't used to and not because of the drinks you had, you were sure.

You made a beeline towards Daryl...or you did in your head, not noticing how uncoordinated you were, tumbling slightly from side to side. Daryl frowned as you approached him, but you didn't notice, grinning as you greeted him.

"Daryl! I'm so happy you came! I thought you wouldn't!" You rushed the last steps towards him but ended up tripping over, though Daryl was quick, reaching out to grab your arms and prevent you from falling down. "Wops, I can't walk with these boots, they are pretty but I think they're not my size." You giggled and Daryl just frowned more.

"Are you drunk?"

"No, well...a bit tipsy..." You giggled again. "But it's a party! Come on, let's go." You reached to take Daryl's hand and lace your fingers, tugging, but he didn't move.

"I think you had enough." He was looking at you half concerned half amused. "I'll walk you home."

"But you'll miss the party..."

"I wasn't going inside anyway, I was going to go home..." Daryl shrugged.

"You look so sad since we arrived here... I hate it. I don't want you to be sad." You pouted. "Just tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it. If I have to kick someone's ass I will. If you want to leave I'll go with you." Maybe the alcohol was making you be more honest than you usually would, but you meant every word. "But I think this place could be good for you too..."

Daryl was looking at you with a soft smile. He let go of one of your hands to brush his knuckles over your cheekbone ever so softly, making you grin and lean into his touch. You didn't think he had ever shown you that kind of physical affection.

"You're more than tipsy, Y/N. Come on, let's go home."

"Noooo!" You pouted again. "You don't want to go to the party, okay, cool. But I don't want to go home yet..." You looked around and pointed at one of Alexandria's green areas. "Come, sit with me."

Daryl rolled his eyes, shaking his head, but he let you tug him with you and you both sat down on the grass. You kicked off the uncomfortable boots, stretching your toes, smiling as you felt the grass and the mug against your feet. You turned to look at Daryl, who had been watching you but he looked away when you looked at him.

"Your hair looks so soft..." You thought aloud. Daryl arched an eyebrow at you, seeming amused but mostly confused. You reached out and stroke Daryl's hair, it felt so soft too.

"What you doing?!" Daryl snapped, pulling away from you.

"Shh. Stop fussing!" You shifted onto your knees and ran your fingers through a strand of his oh so soft hair. "I'm braiding your hair!"

"Y/N!" Daryl complained, shaking his head to free his hair from your grap.

"Come on, indulge me on this..." You looked at Daryl with begging eyes and pouty lips. He rolled his eyes, letting out a sigh, but he stopped trying to pull away.

Humming softly, you braided one of the strands closer to his face into a tiny braid. You didn't have a hair tie so you secured the end of the braid with a bobby pin you took out of your own hair, and then you did the same at the other side of his head. Lastly, you took the last two bobby pins of your hairdo, letting your hair fall free, to pin the couple of tiny braids back. You looked at Daryl, surveying your work, and you grinned and giggled. He was looking away from you, cheeks blushed red.

"So handsome! Like a prince charming..." You let out a dreamy sigh and Daryl scoffed, reaching to take off the braids, but you slapped his hands away. He grumbled something but stopped trying. "Not that you aren't always handsome...cos you really are."

Daryl's eyes snapped to you at that, looking at you as if you had gone crazy or as if he thought you were making fun of him. You didn't notice, though, and you kept talking...or rather oversharing again.

"But if only you were handsome...but no, you gotta be smart too, and brave, and loyal, and kind, generous, with the best heart, and so on, and so on..." You almost sounded frustrated. "How's people supposed not to fall for you."

Daryl kept looking at you as if you were crazy, cheeks burning, and then he shook his head. "How much have you drunk, girl?"

"I'm not that I drunk!" You protested. "Although...yeah, okay, maybe I'm drunk." You giggled. "But I mean every word." You did. Not that you wouldn't be embarrassed about having said all that in the morning, if you remembered it.

Daryl wasn't saying anything, too dumbfounded and shy to be able to find words, though you were oblivious to it. You let yourself fall down onto your back, lying down over the soft grass.

"I like you a lot, Daryl..." You whispered, closing your eyes and reaching out blindly until you found his hand and laced your fingers, barely noticing his twitching nervously.

"You should go home and sleep." He managed to murmur.

"Just five minutes more..."

You ended up falling asleep there. Daryl knew he should wake you up, drag you home and get you in bed... his mind was too busy to do anything but think, though. He thought about your words, what you had said about him...he thought about how it made him nervous and uncomfortable but at the same time made something twirl inside his stomach and his heart speed up...he wondered if it was real, or if it was the alcohol. He wondered if you'd remember it in the morning. He wondered if he'd dare to ask you in the morning if you really meant it...

Notes:

I hope you enjoyed this little thing, if you have a moment please drop me a comment with your thoughts.

As always, english is not my mother language, so sorry if there are mistakes.