Chapter 40: Giving His Heart A Break

Start from the beginning

Tory throws her arm toward my direction. "Your indecision about boyfriend material almost cost the best person I've ever met- her life. And although I'm still so mad at him, Miguel is a good guy and it would have cost him his life if Zelena hadn't interfered. And that makes me furious every time I think about it." The blonde steps back from her frozen position that Sam had neared during their conversation, hands raised at either side of her head. "The next time I fight any of you will be at tournament." From my peripheral, I find Eli scooting around Miguel's frame and heading toward me. 

An unknown fear begins to throb in my chest, trickling down into my stomach to start some weird malfunction that causes a wave of ill nausea to wash over me. Tory eyes him from her side view, still warily observing her main concern aka Samantha LaRusso. Eli stalks in her direction, but last minute adverts that path and steps to be at my side. His left arm snakes around my shoulders while his lips  busy themselves with finding the crown of my head. A shaky exhalation floats from Sam's direction. Tory and Eli make eye contact. And something weird happens.

He simply, firmly, and only once, bobs his head in her direction. In confirmation.

"The last time we didn't listen to Zelena, I looked like an idiot. We all did." His arm tightens around me. Tory slowly nods back at him, agreeing with his words. My right arm untucks from between our bodies and circles around him from behind. His head tilts downward to finally meet my eyes. "If she trusts Tory's words, we should too."

Mentally acknowledging it may not be the best time to do so, I still lean on the tops of my toes and press a chaste kiss to Eli's lips. "Wow, she really did kiss Lip and that gross scar of his." At the taunt from Kyler and the non accidental slip of his old nickname that he thought he'd left behind him with the birth of Hawk, Eli's body tenses everywhere.

THIRD PERSON POV

Everyone examines each breath the red mohawked boy takes, awaiting some sort of explosion from within. Shared knowledge floats between all several teens occupying this girl bathroom at how much this one thing affects him so deeply. Kyler smirks and chuckles under his breath at the unreadable expression across Eli's face though Zelena can tell how nervous her boyfriend's lack of immediate reaction uneases the school bully. Just to amuse herself, she lifts her right foot, remaining completely still otherwise, before slamming it back against the tiled floors.

Kyler's feet lift off the ground, a small shriek escaping his lips at the sudden thud echoing the room as he curls into himself slightly. Zelena titters under her breath, comforting herself at the noted sensation of Eli's muscles releasing their tension. "The only thing that's gross Kyler, is you." Her left hand lifts upward, interlacing her fingers with Eli's that are hanging off her shoulder. His fingers squeeze hers lightly in gratitude and solidarity with her voiced opinion, grateful to have her back at his side.

Part of her wants to tell Kyler how amazing Eli is and how great of a kisser he is. How he is the epitome of boyfriend material. But she knows deep down it's useless and her most recent commentary suffices as impactful. So she leans further into Eli's side and presses a gentle kiss against his chest to silently instruct their leave.

His gray blue-green eyes draw away from Kyler's glare to the movement happening beneath his chin where Zelena moves in, allowing her lips to press against the black fabric of his jacket that covers his chest. Swallowing hard, he forces himself to think past the thudding of his heart against his rib cage and focus on the silent words she'd intended. He notes the direction her eyes move toward and places the pieces together.

This has been a long time coming and now the rest of their group would understand Samantha's frustration with Kyler and why Miguel has been important to her even when they weren't on speaking terms. And more importantly- why she'd been so upset and distanced with Miguel following his stint at the bonfire party Aisha had thrown. He'd been acting like Kyler who had tried to her with her after she'd made out clear she didn't want it.