Just like a movie (vlad x gn!reader)

summary: you moved into your new house and are busy getting it organized, but there's just one problem- the postman mixed up the addresses and now you have your neighbour's parcel (soulmate!au)

warnings: mentions of food and that's pretty much it

a/n- this was my secret santa gift for my dear friend: @jiyuu-chan (on tumblr) ! + if you enjoyed it; feedback is highly appreciated!

*

People say that you are meant to meet a special someone in your life. Someone who would change everything, who would complete you like a piece of a puzzle- someone you are destined to be with from the moment you are born, a string of fate tying you closer.

Soulmates have a special bond with each other; a red string that is attached to their pinky- which can only be seen by them. Such is drilled into every child's brain from a young age.

When you were younger, your father would always tell you stories of how he had met his soulmate, his wife...your mother. It was otherworldly he said, like nothing else- an indescribable moment, and he wanted you to just know when you had met yours.

"One day, you'll also meet your one and only, sweetheart!"

"Really? But.... how will I know?"

"Really! It's simple. You'll see a red-," your dad said- looking a little too excited.

"DARLING- STOP! DIDN'T WE DISCUSS THIS!?? Don't annoy the poor child...," your mother screeched from the kitchen as she stormed to your place- giving her husband a sharp look before turning to look at you, "sweety- you'll know when that day comes, alright? Why don't you go play, hmm?"

You only nodded meekly, and rushed upstairs- glad to have your dad stop talking. Your parents' banter was now muffled, but your mind was clouded with thoughts of what your father was about to say. Perhaps your mother was right...it's better not to know to keep the moment special.

*   

As you grew up, from kindergarten, primary school to highschool and finally college; you stood by and watched most of your friends find their other half- until you were the only one left. You'd always feel a dull pang in your heart...what if you were destined to be alone for life? When were you going to meet your soulmate? Will people keep on taunting you? These thoughts would lurk in your head, until you couldn't think anymore. But now you were older and more carefree than before, such thoughts didn't bother you any longer- at least not completely.

Every once in a while, your family and friends would dreamily tell you about their experience, while you'd just listen and nod. An exhausting cycle, where all your concerns would come rushing back to you. Then, of course, they'd never forget to ask about your nonexistent love life... It wasn't fun to watch them shoot you a sympathetic smile and say "don't worry, your time will come soon!"

Truly, having a soulmate or not didn't matter to you, at least that's what you think. It wasn't uncommon for few people to be 'alone' although that was quite rare and an unfortunate occurrence. Why was it so hard for people to leave you alone? Real life isn't a romantic movie, like everyone would depict it as.

*

"There we go! I think that's it now," the strawberry brunette sighed as he placed the vase of wildflowers on the coffee table.

"Finally! I'm so tired," you groaned, slipping to the floor as your back pushed against the couch.

Fumbling with the book in your hands, you motioned the man to sit beside you- not too long after, he too sat lamely next to you on the cold hardwood. Exactly five hours passed since you and your friend Charles began organizing your new house. The two of you were working nonstop- tirelessly to get the place looking more liveable and comfortable. It was a struggle, but the effort was worth it.