Songbird (SemiShira)

This was originally for a different ship but it wasn't going anywhere. I wrote it a month ago but had no real motivation to finish it. Then I thought of them and that got my brain a thinking. As for the ship this was meant for, I have a better idea for them that's actually half finished lol. This fic also got delayed like a day cause I got sick. I'm still kinda sick but I can write without a headache at least.

A noise woke Eita up. He sluggishly checks the clock, 2 am. Being late and considering he has work in the morning, he goes right back to sleep. He didn't think anything of the sound, until he heard it again. Then once more. It was seeming like the sound was coming from beside him, but the only thing beside him was his husband, who's asleep. He should be asleep.

A quick turn of his head confirmed his mate was not asleep, but awake. Kenjirou was laying on his side, before letting out a groan before sitting up. He had an idea what was bothering the omega.

"You okay?" Kenjirou whipped his head to face him, wide eyed. He clearly didn't expect Eita to be awake.

"Yeah I'm fine. Go back to sleep." Kenjirou said rather quickly. The alpha didn't buy it.

"What's wrong? I know something is bothering you." He took one of the omega's hands in his own, giving it a small squeeze "You can tell me you know?"

"It's nothing. I can handle it. Sl-"

"Is the baby bothering you?" No response, Eita knew he was right.

Kenjirou was 30 weeks pregnant with their child. After a visit to his close friend Taichi, where they found out he was pregnant as well, and it gave him baby fever. He wanted a kid too. Eita had felt the same way, for a while actually, so they started trying. Eventually, the omega had gotten pregnant.

Kenjirou was always stubborn like a bull, ironically enough it's one of the qualities Eita loved about him. He thought he had to deal with this mostly alone.

But he's not. He just needed to be reminded at times.

Eita pressed a kiss on his husband's hand, right on his ring "This isn't just your baby you know?" he moved his other hand on his bump "This is our baby. If you need help you can ask me, you know?"

"You need sleep. You have work tomorrow."

"More like later." he said, trying to lighten the mood. He got a glare in return. "Okay but seriously, you have work too. Not only that your shift is elaryer than mine. Let me help, so tell me what's wrong okay?"

Kenji looked to the side, considering his offer "....The baby isn't letting me sleep. Anytime I lay down I get a swift kick to my ribs. They're not letting me rest..." Tears welled up in her eyes, before he broke down crying "I'm so tired but no position is working and I just!-"

Eita sat up, pulling Kenjirou into his arms, being mindful of his belly. He was used to his mate's emotional outbursts as a result of his hormones. It scared him at first but eventually he became a pro at dealing with them.

Okay not a pro, he was an idiot at times and still could accidently set them off, but he made up for them.

"Hey...It's okay....Let me try to help okay?" Eventually, he got a nod from the younger male. He carefully flipped him around so his back was resting against Eita's chest. Kenjirou immediately takes the chance to bury his face into his mate's neck, the alpha's scent of mountain breeze and cloves already having a calming effect on the omega.

Eita placed his hands on his mate's belly, slowly rubbing circles. He could feel the kicks of their pup occasionally as he moved his hands. Kenjirou sighed, the gesture felt soothing.

"Come on little one. You're keeping your mama up. You can be as energetic as you want in a few months okay songbird?"

Kenjirou let out a grumble "Stop calling them a bird." Eita let out a chuckle, in which he wanted to kick him in the shin.

"You know you like it." No response "Huh, they're pretty active."

"Yeah, I told you so. Now please do something." Eita nodded. As he rubbed his mate's belly he began to sing "Hush, little baby don't say a word, Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird."

'Fuck' Kenjiru could feel his eyes get wet. Ever since they learned the baby could hear Eita had taken every chance to talk to them. Mostly little things like 'You're going to be the most beautiful baby' or 'Your mama and I are so excited to meet you'. Kenjirou just rolled his eyes but secretly loved it. He loved hearing his mate's voice, it was such a lovely voice, the tone was soft yet voice rich. The way he sang to their pup always made him emotional.

"And if that mockingbird don't sing, Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring" The kicks were becoming less frequent. The soft tune, combined with the comforting touch and calming scent, had Kenjirou drowsy. He could feel himself nodding off. He finally was able to fall asleep.

"And if that horse and cart turn round, You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town." Eita finally finished the lullaby. By this point the kicks had stopped.

Eita was all too proud of myself. "Heh. I told you Kenji would be able to help....Kenjirou?" Eita finally noticed his mate had fallen asleep. He could help but smile fondly. Kenji looked adorable with his face smushed into his shoulder. Eita pressed a kiss on his forehead, right under his bangs.

He carefully set him on the bed, pulling the covers over him. He didn't want to accidentally wake up. Eita followed suit, pulling the other close.

"Good night love. Good night my little songbird."

Eita was woken up by his alarm. With a grumble he turned it off before sitting up and running a hand through his hair. The bed was cold, Kenjirou left for his hospital shift already. Eita walked into the kitchen grumbling. When he got there he noticed a yellow sticky note on the microwave.

'I made breakfast. Your soup is in here.' Along with a heart in the corner. He opened the microwave, a bowl of miso soup was in there. Eita knew this was a thank you for last night; Kenji's pride wouldn't let him express it at times. Eita knew better.

He smiled. He quickly sent him a text

You: Thanks for the soup. I love you.

5 minutes later, as he was getting ready he got a text back.

Melody In My Head: Sap.

Melody In My Head: I love you too.

You: I love our little songbird too.

Melody In My Head: Stop calling them that.

You: No <3

Kenjirou won't ever give his alpha the satisfaction of knowing how much he liked the nickname.

I never specified the gender of their child cause I have no idea what gender child they should have. What do you think? Also for Kawagata as well owo. Speaking of them, I do have the fic where Taichi reveals he's pregnant to Shira also half finished. It is also a month old cause I'm lazy imao.