Chapter 2: Coming Home

Will Byers

I can hear the car pull into the driveway, he's here. My best friend is finally home. Sure, everyone in the party I count as my best friends, but Dustin more so. Ever since the mind flayer, he has been there whenever I needed him to be.

The door to outside opens and in walks Dustin. He shuts the door behind him and goes straight to his room. Now it's time for El to work her magic.

Soon enough Dustin comes back out of his room and we know it's time for us to come out. We move out from behind the wall and slowly walk out to where Dustin is standing. We stand in a diagonal line holding the banner up the says: "Welcome home Dustin!" On it.

We hold the kazoos up to our mouths and blow. This catches him by surprise and he starts screaming and spraying the can of hairspray in Lucas' eyes, then Lucas starts screaming as well.

Once Dustin calms down (which took a surprisingly long time) Lucas goes straight to the sink to rinse his eyes, while Dustin throws the can of spray away, because once he calmed down it was already empty.
He walks back over fro the trash and towards me.

He opens his arms, signaling for me to give him a hug. I walk forward towards him, but before I reach his open arms, someone else has rushed into them. It was El.

Dustin looked surprised by the fact that it was her in his arms instead of me. I gave him a look to tell him it was okay, she doesn't know any better.

As soon as she lets go of him I go to give him a hug as well, but what do you know? Mike pushed past me and into his arms. Dustin looks a little annoyed now. I give him a reassuring smile and he returns it.

I don't think they even know that they pushed me aside, or maybe they just didn't care. But now it's finaly my turn to hug Dustin, and I practically jump into his arms.

We both smile widely as we wrap our arms around eachother.

"I missed you so much!" My voice just got really high for some reason, but I don't even care because it feels like I haven't seen my bestfriend in so long.
Our hug is much tighter and lasts longer than the others, and I'm glad. I think out of everyone in the party, Dustin and I are the closest. It used to be Mike and I, but shit happens and life goes on.

I let go of my bestfriend and turn to where Max is helping Lucas is rinsing out his eyes.

"You guys need any help over there?" I ask.

"No I think we're good for now. Thanks Dustin." Lucas says in a sarcastic tone.

"Hey, it's not my fault you guys scared me. How did you even get in here to begin with? You know what, it doesn't even matter, what I did was self defense." Dustin's face looks serious, but I know he meant it in a joking way, so I let out a small laugh.

Maybe now things will go back to the way things used to be. I miss the days when we just hung out and played D&D. That might be a little naive of me to think, but I guess I can still hope for it.

I miss the good old days.