s e v e n t e e n

Începe de la început

"Those alternatives are unethical." Minho sneered.

"What do you suggest I call them?"

"I'd prefer you not call them at all." He said after a beat.

"Come on! Let's get this over with!" Hyunjin hollered out, fixing the black headband wrapped around his small head. "I don't even like volleyball." He said loud enough for everyone to hear.

Gyeoul sympathised with the blonde, concluding that he was also dragged to play volleyball because of Minho's girlfriend's wish.

Beach volleyball consisted of two players each team. As they were equal in number, they decided to play a game to decide the teams. Before they could play a round of rock paper scissors, a group of girls approached them. Gyeoul was not surprised when they chorusly giggled out the three boys' names.

"Can we join?" One asked.

"We don't need more players." Minho did not even spare them a glance and put out his fist to urge them to continue with the game.

They girls simultaneously giggled. One casually nudged Gyeoul out of the way, taking her position next to Minho. Another one striked a conversation with Hyunjin. Two girls latched themselves onto Jeongin's arms before pouting. "Come on. We can be substitutes." One offered.

Gyeoul noticed that they all seemed to know each other and upon overhearing Hyunjin's conversation, she found out that they were guests at the wedding as well.

Gyeoul pursed her lips to prevent a laugh from escaping, seeing Jeongin's horrified expression. "There are no substitutions in beach volleyball." She chimed in, seeing as that the three boys did not seem to like the newcomers' company.

The four girls whip their heads toward her direction in unison. If looks could kill, she'd be six feet under the sand right now.

The girls pointed out that it was not even an official match and that therefore they should not follow the official rules. Minho was starting to get annoyed with their voices and ultimately decided to let them join. Hyunjin and Jeongin cringed but stayed quiet nonetheless seeing as that the girls seemed to have no plans on leaving. Gyeoul found amusement in it all. In the end, there were four players each team.

Gyeoul, Jeongin, two frogs in one team and Minho, Hyunjin, and two frogs in the other.

•••

"You said you didn't play." Minho tossed a bottle of water a Gyeoul was sat down on the sand, panting.

She was able to catch it mid-air. "So did you." She said before taking a sip.

Minho plopped down next to her. He was actually sat a little too close that Gyeoul couldn't help but feel insecure and wonder whether he was bothered by her sweaty arms. If he was, he showed no signs.

"I never specified which game." He said, leaning on both arms behind his back.

"Neither did I."

The game actually went better than Gyeoul had expected. She wanted to deck herself for judging the girls too soon. They were actually really good players and the game would have been a fair one if it weren't for them stealing her receives and basically just targeting her with the ball. All the teenage bitchiness aside, it was actually worthwhile. Not something that she would willingly do again though.

"Your hair's a mess." Minho deadpanned.

Gyeoul frowned, seeing Minho's still perfect hair. "You're a mess." She said lamely. She patted her hair down in a poor attempt in taming it. She thought of quitting dying her hair and finally cutting it. As she was cursing her high maintenance hair, Minho scooted closer.

If that was even possible.

She was taken aback when Minho had gathered her hair to one side over her shoulder. She froze when he had began braiding her hair. He said nothing before tying the ends of her hair with the hair band from his wrist.

"Minho!" One of the girls called out. She stood confidently in front of them, ignoring Gyeoul. "Can I have some water?" She wondered out loud.

Minho, again, had not even spared her a glance. "Ocean's right there." He said, loosening the braid.

The girl walked away in embarrassment.

Gyeoul was confused. It was difficult for her to point out whether if she was feeling hot from playing or from the devil next to her. She decided not to ask where he got the hair tie from, remembering that Miso had long hair and that it was probably hers.

"You do know that she meant drinking water right?" She raised a brow at him.

Minho tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "There's only so much charity I can do." He murmured before pulling away.

(a/n: surprise mfs. bye mfs. love yall stay safe n healthy!)