"I have a tumour I don't know how to remove yet. Don't change the subject," Amelia smiled slightly.

"I'll call," Mallie said. "You'll figure it out, by the way. Your tumour. You always do," she said.

"Are you working tonight?" Amelia said.

"Yeah," Mallie said.

"I would've asked you to stop by and give me your opinion," she said.

"Yeah, I was never really one for neuro, even as a surgeon," Mallie chuckled. "Something about brains creep me out," she said.

"Mallie, can we go? We'll be late," Zola opened the passenger door to look back.

"Yeah, mija," Mallie said. She pushed off the car and nodded at Amelia. "Have a good day, Shepherd. You'll work out the tumour soon enough," she said.

"Thanks, Cruz. Text me if you need anything," Amelia said.

"I will," Mallie said. She closed the passenger door over and climbed into the driver's side, putting her seatbelt on. "What are we listening to, Ells-bells?" she asked, reversing out of the driveway.

"Frozen!" Ellis said happily, pressing play on the Frozen soundtrack on Mallie's phone. Mallie laughed, turning up Love Is An Open Door for all of the kids to sing along to.

"Have a good day at school, bebés. Te amo mucho," Mallie hugged the three kids as she pulled up to their school and got them out of the car.

"Te amo," they chorused. She kissed each of their foreheads, leaning against the car as they ran in. She saw them join their friends on the yard, a few of them pointing to Mallie in her fire shirt and slacks.

"That's our auntie Mallie. She's a firefighter and she saves lives," Bailey boasted loudly, smiling back at Mallie. She smirked and waved, getting in the car, driving away to get to the station.

"Cruz, do you copy?" Andy's voice came over the radio on her belt.

"I copy, Herrera," Mallie said.

"You en route?"

"Sí, almost there. Just dropped the bebés off."

"Bien. Hasta luego."

"Hasta luego."

Mallie had met Meredith Grey on the first day of their internships at Seattle Grace. They'd met Alex Karev, Cristina Yang, Izzie Stevens and George O'Malley, too. George had died, Izzie had got cancer and left Seattle, there was a shooting and then there was a plane crash. Mallie had decided on a career change, becoming the one thing she never imagined she would be able to be.

A firefighter for Station 19, just three blocks from the hospital where she had built herself into a surgeon. She had been there for seven years, now, and her career change had made her the happiest she'd been in years. She still got to see her family at the hospital and she had added members from her fire squad.

She was still a big part of their lives, considering she was godmother to Meredith's son and took the three kids to school every Tuesday. She got to know Maggie and Amelia a lot better since they'd came to Seattle and she would call Maggie one of her closest friends, though she couldn't say the same about Amelia.

Amelia and Mallie had a bit of a complicated relationship. Mallie had met the girl and found her incredibly attractive, and Amelia had done the same, though neither had said it. They weren't exactly close in the way they spent every day together, but at the same time, when Mallie had just gotten back from a bad fire, it was Amelia she would talk to before she would talk to anyone else.