Chapter 14: My Bad, Your Bad

Magsimula sa umpisa

He handed her a brown bag knowing full well she hadn't gotten a chance to eat since that morning.

"Oh, the usual," she said as she shook the bag in curiosity.

"Is the usual another close brush with death?"

"They told you about that, huh," she crinkled her eyes in amusement as they headed back to the apartments.

"You do know the phrase 'break a leg' isn't supposed to be taken literally."

"Peace was never an option," she quipped smelling the delicious meaty contents. "Hmm, kindness doesn't suit you Kakashi-sensei."

She pulled out a pork kebab and started chewing slowly, making sure to savor each spice the cook had used to produce such heavenly manna.

"I thought you said I was caring."

"Towards others. But not to me," she said cringing internally, "I don't want that, no thank you."

Sticking a hand out for the bag, Kintsugi slapped his hand back. 

"I never said I didn't want the food."

He chuckled silently, sticking his hands in his pockets as they finally made their way onto more level ground.

The walk back was quiet and the occasional sound of Kintsugi's chewing made up for the lack of conversation.

If Obito and Rin were still alive, would this be their life? Quiet walks at the end of a long day?

Because of what he'd done to them, he'd never know now.

His previous calm demeanor slowly turned somber and as they reached Kintsugi's door he was back to his usual self. Closed off with a plastic smile on top.

 Closed off with a plastic smile on top

"Well, thanks I guess. But don't do it again weirdo."

"I'll make sure to put it in my notes."

Kintsugi walked inside the small apartment standing by the entrance as Kakashi did his typical eye smile.

"Are you going to escort me tomorrow?" she said in a mocking tone.

"I have to. But I'll be off later in the day after I finish my rounds to check up on you," he warned.

"Care to share the details of those rounds?"

"Nope. I'm not the one on trial."

"Yet," she mumbled waving him goodbye as she closed the door.

It's not like she couldn't find out, but there was no fun in that. Better to gain his trust now than have him find out her plans too soon.

Tap, tap, tap.

Not again, she thought. 

She opened the window to find a small rolled-up paper on her sill. 

She tried sensing around the area but as far as she could tell the only presence was an alley cat and a couple of distracted nannies. 

Alone again. Not lonely, she reminded herself.

Taking the paper in hand, she sat down on the stiff couch, unrolling it to find a handwritten message. 

Tenshi has informed us of your timeline. We agree with the four days. Expect another package.

That bird!

She would choke that bird the next time she saw her.

You are not my favorite person today, she wrote down on the back of the small piece of paper with her own blood. 

Opening the window she left it where she had found it hearing a quick, small caw fade in and out as it carried her message away as soon as Kintsugi stood back.

Someplace far away, as her message was opened, Itachi was slightly confused.

"What's that?" Kisame asked.

"...a bloody letter."

-----

What I listened to on a loop while writing this: 

Music Credit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwXJrMhbi-s

Artist: Lilypichu

Picture Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296393219234616732/

A/N: Thank you to everyone that's been adding this to their reading list and taking the time to vote. It means a lot and encourages me to continue. [^-^]