Chapter Seven

BRITAIN'S P.O.V.

Spencer's eyes widened and he leaned back in his seat. "I'm sorry?" I asked at his behavior.

"No, it's okay. I just... I've... No one has ever liked me before. I just don't know what to say."

"'Thanks' works just fine."

"Thank you." Spencer said.

I laughed and leaned back in my seat as well. He watched me with curious eyes. "Are you profiling me?" I asked.

"I'm trying. You are just very hard to read."

I kicked my Converse up on the empty chair next to Spencer's. He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me. I copied him, narrowing my eyes at him.

The waitress set our food in front of us. She looked between Spencer and I. "Thank you." I said without breaking eye contact with Spencer. She just shrugged as if to say whatever and walked away.

Spencer finally blinked. "Alright, my eyes are burning."

I continued to stare straight at him. "That is a slightly unhuman time to go without blinking." He said. I laughed and blinked, rubbing my eyes until I felt them water up. "Boom. I won."

"I'll say." He muttered.

I picked up my fork and took a stab at one of Spencer's Italian potatoes. I cut a small chunk off and took a bite. "Yum." He watched me for a minute longer before looking down to his food and taking a bit of his sandwich.

We ate in silence for a bit, watching the traffic outside the windows or sometimes just looking around the diner. Finally, he asked, "How's the food?"

"It's good. Yours?"

"It's not too bad."

Another silence surrounded us. But it wasn't an awkward silence. It was a comfortable silence. A content silence. I felt his eyes on me, and looked over, catching his eye. "Yes?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm just thinking."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

He didn't say anything else, so I didn't probe him any further. I just looked out the windows and kept eating my grilled cheese. I still felt his eyes on me, but I let him stare. Or profile. Whatever he was doing.

I finished my lunch and wiped my mouth on my napkin. "Thank you for lunch."

"No problem."

He went up to the counter to pay the bill. I watched him as he stood there, waiting for someone to help him. He had a cute butt. It looked even cuter when he shifted foot to foot patiently.

After he paid, he held the door open for me. I ducked under his arm and shivered in the cool autumn air. We started to walk side by side, our arms touching. His fingers barely brushed mine. I smiled as he slid his hand over mine. I swung our interlocked hands between us.

"So, when we get back home, we have some things to go over. You know, where are you going to go, etcetera. Tomorrow, I'll take you to the BAU with me because my supervisors want to talk to you. Derek offered you the spare room at his house if you want it."

"Could I stay with you? Would that be too much trouble?"

"It wouldn't be any trouble."

I smiled and leaned into him. "What made you want to be a BAU agent?" I asked.

"Oh, lots of things. I found serial killers fascinating as a kid. I know it sounds creepy, but I did. And I just knew that I wanted to be the one to stop them."

"It doesn't sound creepy. Well, unless you plan to murder me over night. Then we'd have some problems."

He laughed and smiled at me. "I don't plan on murdering you. I do, however, plan on solving some murders with you in the near future."

I smiled over at him, feeling his hand tighten a bit around mine. His thumb brushed over my thumb. We were turning the corner his house was on. A black SUV was parked in the driveway, Derek leaning against the driver side door.

"Where did you guys go?" He asked. He did a double take at our interlocked hands, his eyes widening a bit.

"We had lunch." Spencer said as he unlocked the door. "Why don't you go grab one of my jackets while Morgan and I talk?"

"I'm alright." I said. Truth is, I was cold. But I wasn't ready to let go of Spencer's hand just yet. His lips quirked up in a small smile. "Can you please give Derek and I a minute? " I scowled at him but went inside none the less.