Act 1: Chapter 7

Heavy Mortal Hopes pt. 2

When Beatrix mentioned the word breakfast, Astra knew right then and there that her day wouldn't really going to be bad at all. Food will surely cheer her up and make her forget the pain coursing throughout her whole body everytime she moves.

However, she judged it too early and it must have jinxed her day because the moment she steps a foot on the mess hall, her blonde sister is already pulling her to their table---away from the trio's usual table.

It doesn't add well because the sudden movement intensify the throbbing pain on her temple and if it wasn't enough, Stella's nagging voice is like the cherry on top. All she wants is a peaceful morning.

"Where were you, Astra? How dare you stray away from the group? You hate forest and you know that there's a burned one around the vicinity but you decided to be stupid and wander alone like you're on some sort of an adventure. Just because this is your first time going out of the castle doesn't mean you have to be an idiot."

Astra sighed but decided to not speak up. Knowing Stella, she will only believe what she wants to believe. She tuned out at the middle of her rant, her eyes meeting Riven's and Beatrix's pair who sat quite the distance from them. Riven had a confused look etched on his face contrary to Beatrix's who have pity swarming her face.

"---and being friends with Riven and that weird emo girl? Really Astra? They're bad news," Stella wasn't finished yet, "Here I thought your smart since you like to study but clearly, being a book nerd makes you stupid and naive of the real world."

Astra rolled her eyes, standing up which earned the attention of Stella and her cliques, "You're older but don't try to control who I should be friends with. I am my own person and I could decide for myself."

She started to walk away but Stella grab her forearm, "Are you going to them? I've just told you-"

She wasn't able to finish because Astra pulled her arm roughly, "Stella, can we talk about it on the other day? I'm not really feeling well and I have a feeling that you won't like how it will end if we continue this conversation now."

She didn't even stay longer to see Stella's reaction because she already strolled off and into the trio's table.

"Is Stella your sister?" was what Riven greeted her.

Astra grunted, plopping on the bench as her head fell on the table. Ignoring Riven's question, she grunted, "I feel like I'm dying."

"Don't be a drama queen." Beatrix's tone of voice is indifferent but she pushed a tray full of food towards the direction of the lass.

"Here," at Riven's voice, Astra is forced to lift her head up. He placed a small bottle in front of her.

Astra just look at him with a confused look so Riven cleared his throat, averting his eyes as he nonchalantly replies, "Beatrix had mentioned that you're not feeling well. I went to Mr. Harvey to ask for a pain killer and he gave me this."

Astra still looks at him suspiciously. For the short time they've spend time together, she knew Riven's not the type of a guy who will go as far as this.

The said lad sighed, "I didn't do anything with it. It was given by Mr. Harvey, said that it was a draught made by Willow Bark. It would help ease the pain."