Chapter 14: Finding Us

Start from the beginning

Maksim's ears perked up, as he heard her rummaging through his things.

The alpha wasn't upset, but rather curious. What was the girl doing?

Standing up, he moved to peek in the doorway, only to see her sitting on the ground, looking through the cabinets under his sink.

Maksim's curiosity only peeked as he crouched down beside the girl who was still digging away.

"There we are!"Anna squealed triumphantly, as she found the object of interest.

Grabbing it, she pulled, but the silly thing was stuck.

After a few more attempts, Anna heard Maksim close behind her.

"Here, let me." He offered.

Standing up, she moved out of his way.

In seconds he had freed it and was puzzled by what he saw.

"A first aide kit?" Maksim questioned in confusion, with a frown on his face.

"Yep."

"Are you hurt?" Maksim inquired, his frown only deepening.

Anna couldn't believe his question. He had been the one to come home in the middle of the night all tattered and bruised.

"No." She said, snatching the box from him and setting it on the counter. "...you are."

Maksim was beyond confused now. Didn't she know that he would be fully healed by morning?

Before he could inform her, Anna cut him off.

"Sit." She demanded, pointing to the toilet seat.

Without hesitation, Maksim complied.

He watched her with interest as she began digging through the box of supplies.

Finding some towelettes, Anna figured that would be the best starting place.

She yanked on the package a few times, but the seal just wouldn't budge.

Without saying a word, Maksim took the item from her and freed it with ease.

Handing it back to her, Anna raised an eyebrow. Maksim was being kind to her. She thought he was beyond angry with her, but apparently she had been wrong.

"Thank you." She mumbled as she unfolded the wipe.

Taking Maksim's chin in her grasp, Anna began cleaning his face of the dried blood that coated it.

She ran the cloth over each of his features gently. With little force, Anna guided the fabric over his cheeks and forehead. When she got to his nose, she took her time.

She was very fond of his nose. At first glance it was perfect. Defined by straight and slender lines. But upon further inspection, AnnaLee could see that Maks' nose was crooked, if only by the slightest fraction of an inch.

The little imperfection made it that much more appealing.

Maksim couldn't take his eyes off her. Anna's kind, green eyes held him captive. The alpha felt the girl knocking down his resistance for the last few days. In fact, he himself was tired of resisting, but could he be so selfish with her?

Maksim was beginning to feel like he could.

One question still lingered in his mind above all others, though.

Why was she catering to his wounds?

She said herself that he killed her friend.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" AnnaLee giggled.