Twenty-Three: "Are you mad at me?"

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, Hugh," Harry speaks for the both of us since I'm too busy trying to understand it. "If you don't mind me asking though... what do you mean by that?"

It's obvious I'm not the only who's unsure of Hugh's statement. I wouldn't say that we don't believe him. He seems like someone who only tells the truth. I think it's just hard to understand exactly where he's going with this.

"You two are doing something that Robin and I wanted at your age, but we're only getting around to it now," he begins and I notice Robin nod her head, smiling. "I'm happy to see people like you two who aren't afraid to be a little adventurous, but in a smart way. We need more people like you who try to take on the world's full potential. Nice to see young kids who aren't spending every day partying and instead are trying to appreciate the beauty of the world around them."

"Absolutely," Robin nods again, starting where Hugh leaves off. "We didn't have a chance to do this when we were your age. Times were different and we went straight from being kids to raising our own. It's wonderful to see you two take advantage of this time, and to be doing it together, it's really special."

The smile on my face continues to get larger with every word they say. I know they don't understand the full extent of this trip and every detail about my relationship with Harry, but what they say gives more meaning to this craziness. And because of it realize something that Harry's mentioned time and time again.

This is a story that someday I'll be able to tell my grandkids. It's one of those things that you do when you're young that maybe doesn't fully make sense but changes everything about the person you are.

There is still a lot of the world I don't understand and I know I'm nowhere close to getting there, but I do know one thing. There are plenty of amazing, wonderful, life-changing people out there. People who make small moments into things you'll remember for years to come, people who remind you that not everything is always as bad as it first seems.

I've just been fortunate enough to come across these types of people since I started this journey. Even those who only play a small role like Carol from bingo, Charlie from the laundromat, and Hugh and Robin now, they still prove that this hope I have for the world could be true. They're constant reminders that life is meaningful and I'm not making a mistake by searching for it.

Harry of course is biggest source of this for me. When I first saw him walk onto that bus I knew he was special, but I didn't originally realize how much of an impact he would have on me as a person. I honestly thought he was someone who I would stare at for a few hours then he'd walk off the bus just like he walked on and we'd move on to other things in our lives, but this is obviously wasn't the case.

It wasn't even something I had to put an effort into. It's almost like this is how it was meant to be for us. That we were meant to befriend each other on a stinky bus and go on this strange, exciting adventure together. That we were supposed to be a part of each other's lives.

I think it's one of those things that you had no idea was coming, something that comes straight out of left field, but once it does you realize how right it is. My brief moment of impulsivity led me to him and somehow we've ended up here because of it.

"It helps that you two are so polite," Robin adds, which pulls me away from getting lost inside my head. "We need more kind-hearted people like you kids."

"You're making me blush, Robin," Harry laughs quietly, fiddling with the fork in his hand. "Means a lot coming from you. Already said this, but we really appreciate you doing this for us. Nice making new friends."

"Yes," I finally figure out how to speak again. "Really, thank you."

"It's really no problem," she smiles, finally sitting down at the picnic table next to me after placing all of the food down. "Where are you going to next? Are you headed off today?"