LXXXIV - The Class of Professor Umbridge

Start from the beginning

Astra, not for the first time since school had even started, wished that Regulus, or James and Lily, were there. Yet, they had decided not to come to any classes, and Astra couldn't really force that on them.

She was disappointed by the course aims, that was very clear, but it was also what she had expected. So, she opened her book; one thing that she had learned over the years (specifically from Professor Snape) was that the best thing you could do to a teacher that hated you was to be perfect at their subject.

She wasn't necessarily intending on breaking any rules of Umbridge (She may like pranks and rebelling, but she also wasn't stupid), but she was definitely going to try and push the line as far as possible.

The book was desperately dull, quite as bad as listening to Professor Binns. Yet, the simple goal of annoying Umbridge to her end was encouraging her, and by the time that Umbridge said something, she was only one paragraph away from finishing.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" came her high-pitched voice, and Astra looked up to see Hermione raising her hand and the entire class looking at her.

"Not about the chapter, no," said Hermione.

"Well, we're reading just now," said Professor Umbridge, showing her small pointed teeth. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims," said Hermione.

And Astra had a feeling thatthis wasn't going to end well.

Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows.

"And your name is?"

"Hermione Granger," said Hermione.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully," said Professor Umbridge in a voice of determined sweetness.

"Well, I don't," said Hermione bluntly. "There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

Definitely not going to end well.

There was a short silence in which many members of the class turned their heads to frown at the three course aims still written on the blackboard.

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron exclaimed loudly.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr. --?"

"Weasley," said Ron, thrusting his hand into the air.

Professor Umbridge, smiling still more widely, turned her back on him. Harry and Hermione immediately raised their hands too. Professor Umbridge's pouchy eyes lingered on Harry for a moment before she addressed Hermione.

"Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?"

"Yes," said Hermione. "Surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?" asked Professor Umbridge, in her falsely sweet voice.

"No, but--"

"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the 'whole point' of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way--"