- A Not-So Family Reunion -

Roberto's POV:

As I entered an abandoned warehouse that I was sent the location of via technology, I felt the cold air against my back. It would've sent me chills, but I mentally heated myself up so that I wouldn't feel a thing. The wooden storage box shook as I sat on top of it due to the added weight. Who cares, I thought to myself. The only thing that matters right now is Illyana and her safety. I looked down at the puppet called Lockheed that's sat on my hand, staring at it as if I wanted comfort. But I can't get comfort. Not by this. This thing is owned by Illyana, it isn't her. Although I wish it was.

Sam Guthrie was standing near me and out of the corner of my eye, I could see him closely eyeballing my actions. I lowered my hand that carried Lockheed and shot him a defensive glare, making him quickly look away. He had been in the warehouse long before I arrived; or at least I assumed. That's what it seemed like. Just by glancing over, you could tell that he was at complete ease. It's good that one of us is.

Just as I thought our little planned regrouping was going to fail, Danielle Moonstar (which I still think is a pretty funny last name) and Rahne Sinclair walked in. Their hands were so close to each other's, they were basically interlocked. Great, my new list has grown: One, Sam not being stressed and two, the girls having a great relationship going. The list should be titled 'Two things that I do not have but really wish I did.' My thoughts covered whatever I watched Dani's lips say, but that was fine. I could just start my own statement. "Took you two long enough!" I desperately wanted to add onto that and ask "Has anyone seen Illy? Or like heard from her? She just dropped off at my place, handed me Lockheed, and left" but of course, I didn't. I don't want to let it slip. I mean, why would I? This whole hangout isn't supposed to be focused on me, or Illyana, it's just an everyone thing. And I want to keep it that way. But the short amount of silence that felt extremely long made everything too overwhelming for me to not ask. So, it came out of my mouth. My internal dramatic thoughts were very useless, though, because nobody's seen or heard from her. I drowned out their conversation as my heart felt crushed, my chest closing in with it. I quickly let out an apology for changing the subject and then was about to go back to my own universe when she came. Illyana.

As expected, I didn’t get what I wanted. I didn't get a nice apology or even an explanation. Instead, I got a rude comment thrown at me-- "I'll take that." I lost the one thing I had for a few hours, Lockheed, and when I asked for answers, I got a very basic statement. "I was having trouble, and I didn't want him getting hurt." Seriously?! That's all I get for taking care of a literal puppet for a few hours with no way of not doing it? Thank you. "Thanks," I heard a voice say. Did Illyana actually just thank me? I appreciate the effort, but I still wanted answers, and I was going to get them. But as always, nothing went my way from there. My mouth opened but was metaphorically shut by Dani's words. She had her eyes on me but moved them over to the others, probably so I wouldn't question it. I mentally rolled my eyes and continued listening to what they had to say.

Dani's POV:

"Now that everyone's officially here, can someone tell me why we chose this place out of anywhere to go?" A bit anxiously, I added, "I'm not trying to be picky or anything- it just feels like a gang would hunt out in here." My eyes moved over everyone's to see who would speak next. Even though it shouldn't have been much of a shocker, my eyes allowed themselves to stop on Sam as he started talking. "It's not like we can meet somewhere that the entire world can see us." Then I realized.
I. Messed. Up.
How could I forget that Sam was now a fugitive? That while I've been having calm days with Rahne, he's been having to stay hidden from everyone and everything? I bet he hasn't even had contact with anyone since the hospital. And I forgot, letting myself bring back what could possibly be bad memories for Sam. Great. "And it's not that bad. I'm in here all the time. It's somewhere we can just keep put at if anything happens." I gave a soft smile and glanced over at Rahne, who had the same expression that I did. She used the words that I couldn't form and switched up the mood, offering for a fun story to be told. And I know she loves stories. Under her breath, I heard some words but couldn't comprehend them very well. Must be for a good reason. To not make her feel any kind of way, I moved my attention to my surroundings. Somehow, they were fascinating to me. Maybe that's why Sam seems to love this place so much. Even though the inside was ugly, it was like the air was calmer in here, making it feel like a sanctuary; possibly even a home.