The teen years

To celebrate my coming of age to be a knight, the King held a party. After so many congratulations and greetings , I head to the bathroom to be alone for for a bit. I walk to the sink and turn on the water, cupping the water in my hands and splashing it gently on my face. Just as I'm about to look into the mirror, someone calls my name. I turn around auickly, pulling my dagger out of its holder in my shirt and hold it against the person's throat. I meet eyes with a familiar violet. I gasp and fall to one knee, putting my dagger back into its holder.

"My deepest apologies, Princess!"

She giggles and reaches for my hand, pulling me up after grabbing it.

"Don't do that. You are equal to me." Her voice is soft and sweet.

"Of course...Again, my apologies."

I observe her face and it's as if I'm looking at a younger version of the Queen. Lilabeth cocks her head to the side.

"Roren?"

I shake my head, returning to the present and blush lightly at my mistake. She steps closer to me and rests her hand on my cheek, causing my heart to skip a beat.

"I'm not sure whether to say you're handsome or stunning." She giggles.

My face explodes in a huge blush.

"Please, Princess. I'm not worthy of your compliments. You are the one that's stunning...I mean beautiful." I blurt, obviously flustered.

Lilabeth laughs softly then draws back her hands, only to grab my hand and hold it.

"Are you ok? You're using the woman's bathroom." She asks, amused by my being awkward.

"Yes, of course. I couldn't be better. And, I'm not yet comfortable using the mens. I think I'll wait until the kingdom knows of my change."

"Ah. I understand then. Just wait, love. In time things will get better...," She's quiet for a moment, "Is that all that's wrong."
"What do you mean?"

"Your palm is sweaty."

I try to pull my hand away to dry it, but she tightens her grip.

"I'm so sorry...please allow me to-"

She places a finger over my lips.

"It's completely fine. Please answer my question."

"Well...it's just that..."

Before I can say more, someone opens the door. One of the waitresses that are serving the party stands in the doorway.

"Your highness, Mrs.Roren, you're being summoned."

Lilabeth steps toward the door, letting my hand go.

"Thank you. We'll be right there."

"Yes ma'am."

And with that the waitress goes away. I turn toward the mirror. My short, brown hair is tucked behind my ears so that it doesn't hide my face and my "captivating" cognac eyes. I adjust the purple tie around my collar and re-tuck my white button up shirt into my pants. I sigh and turn around to find Lilabeth smiling at me, causing me to blush.

"Let's go." I say and open the door for her. I offer my arm to her and she links it with my own. I lead her to the front of the ball room to King Eli. He smiles at the sight of us and exclaims that it is time for my 'ceremony', so we stand behind him.

"Today is a very special day. This get-together is to celebrate a very hard working, strong, and noble woman becoming a knight. But she is not to be any regular knight. I've bestowed upon her the duty of protecting our Princess,"