7 - History, Always History

Start from the beginning

"You've always managed to charm the older ladies Buck," Steve laughed.

"Yeah, well it helps that she's the only person in the block that doesn't see the metal arm." Bucky chuckled. He had enjoyed the semblance of peace that he'd had there.

As the conversation continued Bucky asked a little about Talia but Steve wouldn't say much. He felt protective of her, like telling Bucky about her nightmares was a betrayal, even if he didn't know what they were about, and other than that all he could offer to Buck was that she was keeping quiet and only really spoke when spoken to.

Steve revelled in the normalcy of speaking with Bucky in the dead of night and his mind wandered to their childhood and the nights Steve would spend on the sofa cushions pulled into Bucky's room when Steve's mother was working. They'd speak about girls then too, only it was usually a girl Bucky had flirted with once and then followed him round like puppy. A solemn sadness fell over him as he remembered the pain of losing Bucky on the train all those years ago and the line went quiet for a moment.

"So I'll see you tomorrow then Captain." Bucky smiled. "And you can introduce me to this girl you're one hundred percent not interested in."

Steve laughed as he walked back to his room. "See you tomorrow Buck. I'll let Wilson know you want to spend the whole day with him."

"Don't even joke about that Steve."

Steve hung up on his best friend as he crept back into the room, hoping she was asleep. He heard it as he stepped into the darkness and his heart dropped to his stomach. The door to the bathroom was open and she sat shivering in the cold. Her eyes were red and her face was blotchy. He hadn't been there when she'd woken.

"Hey Ice-pop," she sniffled as he shut off the tap and grabbed a towel. "How was your phone call?"

He held out his hand for her to take and pulled her gently to her feet, wrapping her in the towel and drying her off.

"What was it this time?" he asked knowing she wouldn't tell him.

"History, Ice-Pop. It's always history."

*

When Talia woke she was alone and the sun was streaming in through the wall of glass. Steve had tied her hair back in a loose plait before she'd fallen asleep. She untied the bobble and let her hair fall in waves as she sat up. On the nightstand was a glass of orange juice and a note. He'd brought her juice. She wasn't sure why that made her blush, but it did. She took a sip of juice as she picked up the note and climbed out of bed. She wandered over to the closet and into the corner that held the clothes Nat and Wanda had passed down to her. Grabbing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, she quickly changed as she read the note.

I'm out today. Nat is about if you need anything. I know you're avoiding the team but we're having dinner at 6 if you want some... Call me if you need anything. Steve.

Talia sighed. She wasn't avoiding the team. She was avoiding him specifically. The reality of it was, despite the fact he had been nothing but kind to her since that first night, she was embarrassed to be around him. Every night she'd been ripped from sleep and every night he'd helped her through it. She'd never had someone do that before... not since...

Bile rose in her throat as his face flooded her mind and his voice, like hushed whispers, carried through the room. The hair on the back of her neck stood and her hands began to shake.

"He's not here. He's not here. I'm okay. I am safe. He is not here." She repeated over and over to herself as she tried to calm her breathing. She glanced down at the note, now crumpled in her hands and contemplated dialling the number Steve had scribbled.

"Miss Romanoff?" The gentle voice made her jump. Over the last week he'd been kind to her. He'd also been incredibly useful for her attempts at avoiding Steve.

"Hey," she turned with a fake smile and walked out of the closet, passing Vision.

"You don't have to do that Miss Romanoff. I heard you before I came in. Are you okay?"

Talia sank into the mattress as she sat down and Vision sat beside her.

"Please stop calling me Miss Romanoff Vision, Tal is fine... and I'm okay. Just, processing." She watched him, intrigued, as he took hold of one of her hands.

"Wanda once told me that sometimes a person needs physical contact to be reminded of where they are and that they are okay." He gave her a wide smile and Talia smiled back. This was what she liked about Vision. While she felt that she was lost and alone, Vision reminded her that she wasn't the only one adjusting to the world around them. It had been just under a year since he became The Vision and he often felt like a child learning how to behave.

"Thanks Vision. I'm okay, I promise." She nudged him with her shoulder and laughed lightly as he nodded. "What's up?"

"I came to let you know that Mr Rogers returned ten minutes ago. Mr Barnes is with him too if you'd like to meet him?" Vision stood and pulled Talia up with him.

"Oh. I - I need to -"

"You need to leave without Mr Rogers trying to speak with you, again?"

She grinned at Vision and he smiled.

"Natasha and Wanda are prepared to take you shopping. They're in the garage. If you take the back stairs you should be able to avoid Mr Rogers. Although I don't think you should."

"Thanks Vis," she stood on her tiptoes and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, shocking him. "I'll see you later."

Grabbing her boots from beside the door she left quickly and made her way to the girls.