xviii. Unexpected Gold

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"At least I won't have to worry about Crookshanks anymore," said Ron.

"I will, I'm fucking allergic," Maddie said. "Did you not see my eyes keep welling up back there every time the thing got near?"

"Oh, I thought you were trying not to cry or something, not gonna lie," Ron said.

"Pfft. As if,"

"Out of anger, of course. Not terror. You won't catch the fearless Madison Jordan who jumps off staircases for a laugh getting scared of being trapped in a room with a supposed mass-murderer," he added sarcastically. Maddie rolled her eyes and held her arm out to give him a playful shove.

"Oi, are you trying to break my other leg?" Ron dodged her hand just as realisation hit the girl.

"Oh yeah, shit," Maddie said. "Sorry,"

"'S'Alright," said Ron. "Perhaps it'll give me even more street cred if I get a few more injuries - I might even be as cool as you," he added, again, with a huge amount of sarcasm.

Maddie laughed.

"You are gold, Ronnie Weasley," she said with a grin.

"Didn't think it before, did you?" he retorted with a matching smile. "You thought I'd be a grumpy git all along,"

"Yeah, yeah, alright. Maybe your mood change was a bit unexpected," Maddie said. "I knew I'd make you crack though. Can't resist the Jordan charm - it turns everything to gold, you know,"

"Shut up, I was already gold," Ron said with a light-hearted manner. "You just didn't expect it,"

"Bit cocky," Maddie said, giving him a playful glance.

"You're one to talk," Ron raised an eyebrow, giving the girl the same comical energy back. "You think you're made of bloody candy,"

"Maybe I am,"

"Ooh, bit cocky," Ron mimicked.

The young Jordan laughed.

Finally, they reached the end of the tunnel. Crookshanks darted up first, followed by Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron clambering upward. Maddie kept close behind.

Black saw Snape up through the hole, then stood back for Harry and Hermione to pass. And, at last, all of them were out.

The grounds were very dark now; the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, they set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering.

"One wrong move, Peter," said Lupin threateningly. His wand was still pointed sideways at Pettigrew's chest.

Silently they tramped through the grounds, the castle lights growing slowly larger. Snape was still drifting weirdly ahead of Black, his chin bumping on his chest.

And then a cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Their party was bathed in moonlight.

Snape collided with Lupin, Pettigrew, Maddie and Ron, who had stopped abruptly. Black froze. He flung out one arm to make Harry and Hermione stop.

Maddie looked up to see Lupin gone had rigid. And then she saw his limbs begin to shake. She frowned, confused - until it hit her.

"He didn't take his potion tonight!" Hermione spoke loudly. "He's not safe!"

"Oh - you can fuck right off with that!" said Maddie, backing away slightly, until she also realised Ron was currently chained to both Pettigrew and Lupin.