Chapter 4~Eccentric Feelings

Nolan's POV

I always felt an ultimate power when I was running in wolf form. Everything was play, every animal a test of my ability. By the wolf law it was only illegal to harm or kill a wild animal if it was a wolf or an obvious mother. It was always preferred that it was a male, just in case. And one was only to catch in order to provide for someone in particular, we should not deprive the forest unnecessarily. I killed and ate when I was hungry. 

It was early in the morning now as I ran through the woods, and I was hungry for breakfast. There weren't any rabbits around at this time of day, but I didn't really want a chase. I ran, looking for a bird or mouse, and looking to clear my head. My wolf skin felt so natural, if only I didn't have to go to school. I would stay like this forever. 

Yesterday was a strain for my wolf. Once I found my mate, all he wanted to do was run over and mark her. And mate her, but I can't imagine someone who wouldn't, she was beautiful. She was in my dreams last night, they were gentle dreams, about just me and Sofia talking, not really saying words, just moving our lips. But it didn't feel right, and it didn't seem right to my wolf. I was thinking that Alex made a wrong assumption. My wolf seemed happier when I thought of the other girl, and I couldn't even remember her name. And he was happy now, him in full control of me and my actions, I let him run out to find food while I stayed in my head and thought. It was like autopilot. 

The pack house had changing rooms and a covered place to hang your clothes outside in the back so that you didn't have to run around naked. I grabbed my pants, went into a changing room and emerged human, with a pair of old jeans on. 

You can tell that you're an attractive young gentleman when the ladies stare at you when you don't have a shirt on. 

My wolf jumped with joy when I got on the bus and looked directly at the mud-blonde girl in seat four. I was close to positive at that point that she was my mate, not Sofie. A part of me was sad at this, a crush is really at it's strongest during the first few days. I had had a crush on Sofia, but Lise was still stunning. I wasn't upset, I couldn't let myself. I was happy when I stared at Lise, happier than before. 

I finally remembered to tell Elliott in fifth period. "Oh ya, dude, and Lise isn't your mate." I finished my long explanation of why I am the only white wolf in the pack. He looked shocked. I just stared at him. 

"What, no. She is, dude," He replied, oh, denial. "How do you know?" 

"She's mine. Well I'm pretty sure that Alex's assumption got us two mixed up. My wolf is happy when I think of her, and says 'mate' at her, not Sofia. I think it's the same with you. Our human side crushed on the other's mate, and did you notice how defensive you got, or rather your wolf got, whenever I said something hot about Sofie?" I explained. 

"Oh. Ya," he sounded disappointed, but when you looked into his eyes you could see that his wolf was overjoyed. I told him that I planned on confronting her next period to confirm, and told him, 'the wolf wants what the wolf wants.' 

Apparently he had an epiphany on the way to P.E, me and Matt were ahead because we didn't have to stop at our locker, because he came running over to me in the locker room yelling, "Nolan, Nolan, Nolan, Nolan," 

"Dude I think that she knows that I have or had a crush on her because she caught me staring at her. What if she has a crush on you and like rejects you! And you don't want to scare her by like asking her out right away and stuff and-" I cut Elliott off. "Dude, I'm not planning on like making out with her in P.E. or something. I'm just going to make myself known and be friendly, say hi." I implied. he nodded, and took off his pants. 

We joked around and laughed with a couple other guys, humans, until the girls came out. When they started to, we pulled back to talk amongst ourselves.