Chapter 20: Let Her Go

Moments after Elsa agreed to deliver the baby today, Anna left the room for a few moments to inform everyone outside what was happening, leaving Elsa alone with Tooth.

As frightened and extremely unprepared as she was, Elsa sighed deeply, trying to clear her mind, wanting to push away every little thought that made her heart race in fear. Her fingers gripped onto the bedsheets below, trying to calm herself down by taking deep breaths, telling herself that it will all be over, that the pain will all be over, that everything she has endured within the past five months will all be over soon.

Tooth looked over at Elsa and frowned in pity. The Queen was clearly shaken, clearly terrified, but why wouldn't she be? She is just minutes away from delivering a child they all thought was dead, minutes away from delivering a child four months before the planned due date.

"You're very brave, Elsa," Tooth spoke up gently.

Elsa closed her eyes and exhaled deeply. "Am I doing the right thing, Tooth? By giving birth four months early?"

"If the doctor thinks so, then yes. It must be the right thing," answered Tooth.

"I...I just don't want my baby to be in anymore danger," Elsa's voice began to tremble.

Tooth looked at her sadly, wishing she knew what to say, wishing she had words of comfort.

"I-It's not even born, but it's already been through so much," Elsa continued in a whisper, trying to fight back tears. "I haven't even held my child in my arms, but I already feel as though I've failed as a mother."

"Elsa, that's not true. You haven't failed as a mother at all. In fact, you've been doing the complete opposite," Tooth said, trying to put on a smile. "You've been so strong throughout all this, for you and Jack and your baby. You've been fighting to keep that baby alive, and it takes real strength and love to do that. It takes a mother to do that."

Elsa felt a smile tug on the corners of her lips. "Really?"

"Absolutely. That baby is a miracle in so many ways, Elsa. Who would have thought that people like you and Jack would be able to conceive a child? But it happened. And the baby returned to life, Elsa. That's the biggest miracle yet," Tooth said softly. "You just have to believe that the baby will pull though, that it will come out as perfect and healthy as ever."

Elsa smiled a bit more. Tooth always was the best at making people feel better.

"It will all be worth it at the end. Anna and Kristoff will have a new niece or nephew. North, Sandy, Bunny and I will have a new child to spoil unconditionally. And you and Jack...you two will be parents. There's nothing more amazing than that," Tooth smiled. "But you just have to believe that everything will be just fine."

"Jack always did tell me to believe," Elsa said behind a small smile.

Tooth nodded, thinking back to the year when Jack had joined them as Guardians. "He is pretty good at that," she said.

Elsa looked over at the Tooth Fairy for a few seconds, watching as her wings glittered against the florescent lights. Though Elsa has known the Guardians for quite a while now, it still amazes her that certain types of magic existed in this world, that she isn't the only one who obtains unique abilities.

Even after that whole ordeal with her freezing Arendelle, after realizing that love could thaw her ice, she still kept close to herself. Even though she and Anna had rekindled their bond as sisters, Elsa still couldn't help but feel alone, as if the loneliness she had lived through had cemented a place in her heart. She still felt misunderstood. She still felt like an outcast.