Abigail smiled as she watched from her spot next to the fabrics on display. Daphne already looked stunning in the basic format of the gown. The final product would be a sight to see.
"She will need a new pelisse too, and then the more intimate items." Violet added instructions to the modiste. "Four nightdresses, perhaps? Or five?" 

"What could I possibly need with five new nightdresses?" Daphne scoffed from her place in front of the mirror.

This made Abigail pause. She did know what happened on a wedding night... didn't she? 

"They are not for you, ma chère, but for your amoureux." Madame Delacroix. "What else do you think a honeymoon is for?" 

Did she know what a honeymoon was for? Abigail was now growing increasingly concerned. 

"It will be a most special time, dear." Her mother assured her. 

That was the icing on the cake, Daphne definitely had no idea what she was walking into.

"Yes, five. Five nightdresses will do nicely." Violet chuckled as she gave the final instructions. 

Madame Delacroix got up and signaled she would be back in a moment when Abby heard the shop door open and close behind her. She was going to turn to see who had arrived, but in mere moments Cressida Cowper was striding passed her to approach Daphne. She was practically crooning. 

"Daphne, how lovely to see you. Oh, I do hope your wedding dress will be ready in time. Madame Delacroix must be working fast." She greeted with a sickly sweet voice. 

Abigail knew it wasn't proper for a young lady to feel pure hate or spite towards a person, but sometimes it seemed as if the universe liked to test her patience. 

"Mama, might you spare me a moment? I must have Cressida's opinion on some fabric. Her taste is impeccable." Daphne fibbed. 

"Of course, dear." Her mother responded. 

Daphne walked Cressida over to where Abigail stood, next to the rolls of displayed fabric. 

"I am to have a new pelisse for my honeymoon. What about this color? Trimmed with fur, perhaps." 

Abigail wondered how long they would dance around the obvious before someone brought up last night's events. 

"Fur at this time of year?" Cressida questioned. "Well, I suppose it depends on how much time you and the Duke spend outdoors. But you are fond of a midnight garden stroll, I believe." 

And there it was. 

"I do not know what you mean." Daphne said, attempting to keep a light air about their conversation. 

"I am almost certain I saw the two of you in the gardens at the Trowbridge ball. No chaperone in sight." She vaguely threatened. 

"How strange." Daphne responded. "I do not recall leaving the ballroom. Though I dare say it would have been difficult to see the gardens with any real clarity at night, unless you were actually out in them yourself." 

"My view of the garden was perfectly clear from the safety of the terrace, Daphne." Cressida defended quickly, then swooped like a bird of prey. "You dallied with the Prince purely to rouse the Duke's jealousy, then you lured him into those gardens to trap him into marriage. I never would have imagined that a Bridgerton would ever come to know such shame." 

Fed up with her demeanor, Abigail cut in. 

"You should consider your words more carefully, Cressida. In a matter of days, Daphne is to be a Duchess, and you are to be just as you are now, unmarried and untitled. So you can either be a Duchess's friend or her enemy. I have chosen friend, but it is entirely up to you." She practically spit the words at her. 

"Oh, you are one to talk, Abigail. I know you were with the Viscount Bridgerton that same night, in those same gardens. I only spared mentioning it because you weren't my enemy, don't make me change my mind." 

At her words Daphne look towards Abigail with shock and hurt written on her face. She hadn't told her. She should have, but she had so much going on. The last thing Abigail needed to do was burden her with the complications involving her brother. 

"As for you Daphne," Cressida continued. "I'd like to first see if you drag him down the aisle at all. I would imagine a man like the Duke, does not take kindly to being forced into anything." 

With her final scathing words she left the two young women staring blankly in front of them, utterly scared and unsure of what to do.

(Sort of a filler chapter but I had fun writing it! Here ya go!!)