The Magical Monkey

Start from the beginning

After purchasing a tankard of pumpkin juice each; Varian, Nuru and Yong wandered the village further. On the outskirts was a market of stalls. Yong broke free of Nuru's grip on his hand and ran off towards them.
"Yong-" Nuru called after the boy then looked to Varian, "I'll get him- you look around; enjoy yourself." The Princess gave a kind smile which Varian returned before she ran off.
The boy looked around the stalls before wandering over to one.

"Yong- you can't just run off!" Nuru said when she reached him by a strange looking tent which was further away from the rest.
"This tent is kinda spooky!" Yong smiled, looking upon the deep purple tent, "Can we go inside?"
Nuru was hesitant but a part of her was curious too, "Quickly."
The two pushed the tent curtains aside and walked inside. Immediately a strong scent hit them. The smell was strange and there was an incense burning on the table in the middle of the tent, which must have been the source.
"Hello, children." An old woman spoke from behind the table, "What brings you to Vigor the Visonary's tent today?"
Before either Yong or Nuru could answer, the woman held her hand up and spoke again,
"No- do not tell me." She looked off into the distance, beyond them, and a monkey climbed onto the woman's shoulder, "Vigor knows."
"Cool!" Yong smiled ear to ear.
The woman spread out some cards on the table and the monkey hopped down. He stared wisely at the cards for a moment before lifting one. When Nuru and Yong were ready for something magical to happen, the animal began chewing on the card.
"He's eating it!" Yong pointed and the monkey, scared by his movement, ran back to the woman's shoulder. The old woman took the card from the monkey's mouth and examined it. Nuru was sceptical, raising her brow at the old lady.
"You've come here to repair a rift between your good friends." She placed the wet card down. It had an illustration of a broken bridge and two silhouettes on either side of it. One extended a hand to the other, who turned away with crossed arms.
"Wow..." Yong stared, awestruck.
"Close enough." Nuru rolled her eyes.

"You want Vigor's help?" The woman asked.
"Yeah!" Yong exclaimed.
"What sort of help?" Nuru questioned.
The woman laughed to herself and stroked the monkey's back.
"Vigor is a magical monkey. He can help your friends to make up."
"How?" Nuru narrowed her eyes.
The monkey put a hand out.
"Two silver coins, and your friends' rift will be bridged."
"You haven't even told us how you're planning to- Yong!" Nuru watched as the young boy placed two silver coins in the monkey's hand. The animal closed its fist tightly and climbed up onto the woman's head. The creature tucked the coins away in the turban he wore.
Then Vigor made a loud screeching sound like a siren and Nuru and Yong covered their ears.
The monkey clapped and a purple light flashed in the tent momentarily.
"It is done." The woman told them.

"What a scam." Nuru sighed when they left the tent.
"I liked the monkey." Yong smiled, "Totally worth my allowance; even if he didn't really know magic." Yong said, optimistically, "But the woman did say Vigor helped Varian and Hugo make up- let's go find Varian."

Hugo opened his eyes, though he never remembered closing them. He was outside, a man behind a stall counter staring at him.
"Three gold coins." The merchant said, raising a brow, "I assure you, that's a reasonable price."
Hugo shook his head, ignoring the strange circumstances of his being there. He reached for his satchel and found nothing. The boy looked down and saw a gloved hand and white sleeve.
"What the..." He scanned over the chemical bombs on a belt that wasn't his.
"Do you want the herbs or not?" The other man pushed.
"Hold your horses, buddy!" Hugo looked down at his clothes. They were Varian's. Why was he dressed like Varian? Reluctantly he looked up and saw black hair falling in his face. With a gasp, Hugo felt his head. Tons of thick black hair and a pair of goggles.

"Varian!" Yong's voice yelled from behind Hugo. He spun around, and the Yong boy seemed much taller.
"Varian- we went to see a magical monkey who made it so Hugo isn't angry with you anymore!"
Hugo stared in disbelief.
"Varian, are you ok?" Nuru asked. The boy was about to respond, explaining the situation, when he had an idea.
"Oh, yeah- I'm fine." He spun around and paid for the herbs, putting them into his backpack.
"We should go see Hugo- the old woman in the magic tent said you two could-" Yong started.
"No!" Hugo said a little too desperately, "I mean- I don't wanna...make things worse. I'm sure...Hugo will let me know when he's ready to talk." He smiled, "We should have fun- give him some space."
"I'm glad you're not letting it get you down." Nuru smiled, "It was an accident and I think Hugo will see that when he fixes Olivia."
"When he fixes her?"
"Well- I hate to admit it, but he's not stupid. If he made a mechanical mouse, he can fix one." Nuru told who she thought was Varian. Hugo grinned,
"Since when d'you sing Hugo's praises?"
"I'm not!" Nuru crossed her arms.
"Oh yeah?" Hugo grinned.
"I know you're good friends and I don't want you to feel bad about what happened."
Hugo's eyes widened slightly and he cleared his throat, "Uh, thanks." He attempted a smile.