1. Departure

It was a hot day in late May of 1984. The summer had just begun and everyone flocked to bodies of water and vacation homes nearby. Everyone in town was figuring out what they were going to do with their summer.. everyone including Zero.

Slinging articles of black clothing, make-up and spiked jewelry into her suitcase. Zero prepared for her 3 month trip to Camp Cruor. "Jeez zero chill tf out! I dont even know why you WANT to go to a kids camp.. kids are hella lame." Jax said sitting on the edge of zeros bed.

"I WANT to go because I'm sick of being in this small ass town with nothing to do but sit outside the 7/11 get high and drive around. I mean how do you expect us to go to that Iron Maiden concert if we never make any money? My grandma wont let us crash and trash her place much longer without rent..." zero rolled her eyes and zipped her case shut. Slapping the top for good measure.

"You're right.. I've been a shit friend for not helping out more. I'll see if Tony can get me a job at the Pizza Hut or some shit while you're gone. I'll pay your grandma too so dont stress it." Jax had been a friend of Zeros since they were kids. They were inseparable up until this point.

The room smelt of stale pizza, beer and cigarettes. Black lights lit up the florescent posters sprawled across Zeros walls. Spray painted graffiti from visitors and friends covered what the posters didn't.
Zero took one last look around her dungeon and at her best friend as thrash metal blasted. She would miss her greatly but this is what was good for both of them and her poor old grandmother.

"Miki honey.. you're gonna miss yah bus if you take much longer dumplin." Her elderly grandmother called up the stairs. She was such a kind and frail woman. She had raised Zero from a small child and was sad to see her go so far but happy she was spreading her wings and becoming her own person away from their small town.

Zero jumped down the stairs while Jax was close behind riding down the rail of the old rickety staircase. Falling off at the bottom with a thud. "Ow! Fuck! I think my scrawny ass got a splinter!" Jax cackled picking herself up. Zero looked out at the bus waiting for her in the street. *HONK! HONK!* "Shit.. my ride is here.." Zero looked at her beautiful grandmother and friend with tears in her smokey blue eyes. "I fucking love yall.. and I'll be back at the end of this summer. Jax.. watch out for my grandma!" She said raising her brow. "Oh bitch you KNOW me and granny are gonna have a bitchin summer! Ain't that right?!" Granny rolled her eyes with a smile "of course sugar" and they all drew in for one last tight hug before departure.

Zero picked up her bags and skipped for the bus. Her raggedy black and green LA GEAR sneakers scuffing the pavement as she went. She jingled with every step from the chains and knickknacks on her worn leather battle jacket. She turned around for one last goodbye wave before stepping onto the Camo Cruor counselor pickup bus. She was on her way.