20| Mission

Chapter 20: Mission (Adrianna's POV)

"Is the gin so important? Micah might see you," he grumbled. 

"So, do you plan on staying up here the entire night?" 

"I wouldn't mind," he said, looking out the window, at the moon. 

"I would. Aren't we here to enjoy this party? For free? That gin isn't cheap." 

His lips broke out into a smile while he looked down at me. 

I sat on the edge of the bed and then lay back, staring at the ceiling. 

"Ri!" 

I froze, my eyes widening while I lifted my head to look at him. "Is this a joke?" I whispered. 

He chuckled, both of us turning to the door. 

"Adrianna?! Hey! Have you seen Ri?" 

"Oh my god!" I whisper-yelled. 

"I have an idea," he laughed, walking over and kneeling, straddling me and lowering himself down until he hovered barely an inch above me. 

"What are you doing?" I asked, my voice barely coming out of my throat. 

"Adri-" 

I stared at his eyes while hearing the door open. 

"Oh, god!" he groaned before walking back out, slamming the door shut. 

"See, it worked," he smirked, about to get off of me but the door opened again so I thought fast and grabbed his shirt, yanking him forward. He blinked slowly in surprise. 

"Just don't make a mess! And clean it up before you go!" The door slammed shut again but I didn't let go of his shirt, nor did he move. I waited for a second, to confirm that Micah was nowhere near the room before letting go of Zander's shirt. But even when I did, he didn't move. 

"Do you plan to stay like this for the rest of the night?" I chuckled. 

"I wouldn't mind," he mumbled absentmindedly. I raised my brows and he blinked into realization. "Sorry," he stammered, pushing himself off of me, scratching the back of his head. This is the first time, since I came back anyway, that I'm seeing him all flustered and nervous and just an adorable mess. 

I sat up and glanced around the room one last time before standing up. "Should we head out?" 

He nodded, gesturing for me to lead the way. 

I opened the door, slamming it shut immediately when I saw Micah coming back down the hall. I turned around to face him, leaning against the door. 

"What happened?" 

I closed my eyes, shaking my head. 

He sighed and grabbed my hand, pulling me away from the door. "Trust me?" he asked. 

I nodded. 

He pulled the door open while grabbing my hand and pulled me outside, completely ignoring Micah who now spotted us and was calling me. We rushed downstairs and then he pulled me straight into the crowd, stopping abruptly in the middle of the dancing, swaying crowd. He glanced at the staircase before turning us in a way that my back was towards the staircase so even if Micah found us, he wouldn't know it's me. 

I stumbled forward and so did he, multiple people knocking into us all at once. I watched his face for a minute, trying to read him. Trying to comprehend how much it must hurt for him. 

He has to see my face every single day and for my convenience, act like it doesn't hurt him. But how could it not? He said it himself, I'm not the girl he knew, but I think he wants me to be her even after knowing that it's not quite up to me. Maybe that's why he's trying to get closer to this version of me now.