There Has to be Another Way

Start from the beginning

Wanda had liked the movie, but Nat didn't think that she would have connected Anya's injury to Steve. The girl was too smart, even Nat didn't connect the dots.

"Milaya, that's just a movie. It didn't even happen in the real story."

Nat decided not to tell Wanda what actually happened to the real Princess Anastasia. It probably wasn't something an eight-year-old should know.

"If Steve had any chance of getting amnesia, Bruce or Doctor Cho would have definitely told us."

The nurse changing Steve's bandages, who must've overheard, nodded.

"That's a different part of the brain, honey. Don't worry. When Steve wakes, up, he will definitely remember who you are."

Wanda nodded, reassured by both Nat and the nurse's words.

"Is Dr. Cho or Bruce around?" Nat asked the nurse, who was washing her hands at the nearby sink.

"One of them should be around, I can page them if you'd like."

Nat nodded. Wanda hoped they had some hopefully good news. Although no one mentioned it, they were all thinking that Steve should be conscious by now. It was almost a week past the date Dr. Cho had predicted.

Even though Nat said that it could take extra time, both of them, as well as the rest of the team, were getting more worried as each day passed.

Nat sat in the chair beside Steve's bed, while Wanda sat on the end of the bed cross-legged. She nattered to Steve, mostly nervous for one of the doctors to come down.

She was in the middle of telling Steve about the competitive game of Mario Kart she and Peter had when Dr. Cho came into the room.

Wanda stood up eagerly, ready to hear at least a little news, but her face fell when she saw Dr. Cho.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" Nat asked, standing up. She sounded desperate for answers.

"Why isn't he awake yet?" Wanda asked Dr. Cho. Nat put a hand on her shoulder, telling her to be quiet.

Dr. Cho sighed. "I was just about to contact you," She said.

"I wanted to wait a few days, just to make sure. But I have something to discuss with you. I thought that maybe you should know before the rest of the team."

Nat nodded. Wanda looked at Steve, and then to Nat.

"Wanda, sweetie, do you think you could stay here with Steve for a bit? I have to talk to your mother about something."

"Why can't I hear it too?" Wanda asked. She didn't really care about listening because she knew Nat would tell her later. She just didn't want to be alone. She wanted to be with Nat.

"Wanda, listen to Dr. Cho. We'll be a few minutes. Why-"

She paused. Wanda could tell her mind was moving in a hundred different directions.

"Why don't you tell Steve about how you finally stacked the metal boxes in training? I'm sure he'd love to hear about it."

Nat smiled, but it was weak, never reaching her eyes. Wanda could tell.

She wanted to protest, but Nat didn't deserve it. She reluctantly nodded.

"Good girl." She placed a kiss on the top of her head.

"I'll be right back, milaya."

Wanda sunk into the chair.

Nat and Dr. Cho stepped outside.