Changes (Savannah and Bernadine)

Start from the beginning

"And put up with anything."

"Right, exactly. She likes to say I think I'm too good and need to get off my high horse and give these men a chance." Savannah rolls her eyes.

"Savannah, there's nothing you need to change. You're doing it just right. And you are too good for these ain't shit men."

Savannah smiles. "Thanks, babe. I wish she'd see that. Some of us don't need a man to make us happy."

Bernadine raises her hands. "Let the church say amen. As far as I'm concerned, my children, my parents, and you make me happy. Y'all are all I need. And Jesus Christ, amen."

Savannah secretly likes hearing that Bernadine singled her out from their other friends. It brings her comfort in her desires and wishes for her and Bernadine, the future they could possibly have together.

"You know what I think? I think we should watch a movie," Savannah suggests.

"I'm gonna put the kids to bed soon, and then we can."

Savannah nods. "Why don't I get us all dinner and we can play a game before they go to sleep?"

"Okay, but you've been warned. They might not wanna hang with us 'old ladies,'' replies Bernie, using air-quotes and making them laugh. "Oh, and you don't have to treat us, you're the guest."

The producer shakes her head. "Bernie, I'm family. And I got it, okay?"

After their taco feast, Bernadine, Savannah, Autumn, and Deon play a couple rounds of Head's Up. Then, it's bedtime for the kids. By this point, Savannah has long since removed her cream blazer and is only clad in her slacks and white tank top that exposes her slender, toned body. Her forehead is softly framed by her brown bangs. Her eyes fall on Bernadine who joins her back in the living room, whose long black hair is pulled back, as she wears a white satin robe. Her expression turns bashful at Vannah's stare.

"So what movie are we watching? Uh-oh, there's that smile."

Savannah laughs and wriggles her eyebrows once. "Oh, you'll see, Bernie."

"No scary movies!"

"Aww," Savannah only pouts.

Bernadine sits next to her with a curt expression. Just like that, a smile appears on her face, however. "I'm cutting my hair."

Vannah lifts her eyebrows this time. "Oh?"

"Yeah, yeah, it's time for a change or another change, I should say." Bernadine softly nudges Savannah, chuckling.

"Are you having Glo' do it?" Vannah enquires, referring to their friend Gloria, a beauty salon owner. "You know she's gonna blow a gasket."

"I'm sure Robin will too, but I don't care. It's my hair, my choice."

Savannah nods. "What kind of style are you getting?"

"I thought you'd never ask!" Bernadine gladly shows Savannah a photo from her phone.

"That looks good," Savannah admits. "When are you doing it?"

"Monday, when the kids are at school."

Savannah sees how happy Bernadine is about this transformation, which makes her happy for her. "You're gonna look beautiful."

"Aw, Vannah, do you really mean that?"

"Of course. Short hair, long hair, doesn't matter. You have that beautiful face." She gently rubs the back of her palm on the other's cheek. Their eyes lock.

"You're trying to butter me up because you know you ain't right for picking that movie," Bernie mentions, making Savannah bring her head back and laugh.