Chapter three: New ally

Sae stared at her sister as she heard those words.

"Akechi-kun...?"

Makoto nodded.

"But then... What about the suicide...?!"

"It was staged... Akechi-kun killed him..."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because we have a recording of him telling someone over the phone how he plans to kill Akira-kun and then all of us."

Sae's eyes widened. "But if you knew this beforehand, why didn't you stop it?!"

"We tried...! We had a plan and everything was set in place, but... It was mostly up to him whether or not it would work..."

"So what was this plan?"

"He was supposed to get you to show his phone to Akechi-kun. Then, Futaba would've activated the Nav and transferred both of you to your Palace. When you got further away, a message would've played, explaining everything and bringing you back to the real world to rescue Akira-kun. Meanwhile, Akechi-kun would've shot your cognition of our leader and then be transferred to the real world without even knowing. He would've thought he killed the real deal. That thought would've kept Akira-kun safe before we dealt with the person Akechi-kun was working for," Makoto explained.

"That's a really complex, but also very smart plan as well. So, I'm guessing it went wrong because of all the drugs flowing through his vanes?"

The younger girl nodded. "Hey, Sis...?"

Sae looked at her. "Hm?"

"Are you going to arrest us now...?"

"Under normal circumstances, I would have to. But considering everything I know now, I don't think I will."

<><><>

Slumping down on his bed, Akechi looked up at the rising sun through his window. Had he really been up the whole night in Mementos? The boy sighed. He spent his whole evening filling up the report on the Phnatom Theves case, especially the suicide part, and his whole night on taking care of Shido's targets. With how popular he has become, it is only natural he sees more people as his enemies and competition. But the number has grown traumandasly. It's almost ridiculous. Akechi frowns.

"He's growing paranoid... That could prove a problem..."

Not only that, but soon enough, he's gonna start pressuring him to kill the other Phantom Thieves. Akechi knows that well. It's not gonna be as hard as killing their leader, but it definitely won't be an easy task. Now that he's dead, they're probably paranoid as well. They probably know they're next. He has to think well on how to get rid of them.

"Wait..." the boy mumbles. "Do I really have to get rid of them...?"

Without their leader, Akechi imagines they're probably in chaos right now. Plus, now that the police knows their names, they'll catch them in no time. The Phantom Thieves are no longer a threat. The detective smiled.

"At least one good thing..."

<><><>

Akira was in his room, sitting on his bed. For a long time, he did think about anything. He just stared off into the space, an unreadable expression decorating his face. His mind was similar. It was blank.

"I'm... a ghost..." is the first thing he said after hours of silence. He looked down at his hands. They were pale and didn't look solid. Makes sense considering they aren't.