O-o-O

"But see!" called Trucy. "Even though I stabbed two swords, three fire pokers and a spade into this box..."

She opened its lid and Luke fell out, slumping to the floor with a gasp of relief as the crowd around him cheered, and Layton trilled out a quick little "ta-da!" jingle on the violin.

"That was..." the boy panted. "That was so weird!"

"Here you are, mate." Jack presented a plate to his face. "A bacon sandwich will ground you in reality."

To nobody's surprise, Luke immediately straightened up, sitting on the edge of the 'stage' so that he could take his first massive bite out of the sandwich.

Smiling in satisfaction, Jack walked over to where Layton was packing away the Silver Violin.

"What time does the bus get here again?" she asked.

"Oh dear." Layton paused midway through loosening the bow. "Have we really overstayed our welcome so badly?"

"No, it's not that!" Jack retorted. "I just want to know the time is all, you berk!"

Layton smiled to himself as he finished packing the violin away.

"It should arrive around half past four in the afternoon," he told the innkeeper. "Have no fear, Ms Hill. We are all safely packed and prepared to depart."

"Like I said, I was just checking," said Jack. "I was hoping we could get a photo of you lot before you headed off."

"A photo?" asked Edgeworth. "What, of all five of us?"

"Yes, of course!" said Jack. "You'll be the only people at this party who we're all probably never going to see again!"

"I wouldn't know about that, Ms Hill," Layton said with a polite little tip of his hat. "I assure you that the moment I arrive back at Gressenheller, I shall begin preparations for an investigative expedition to these mountains."

He closed the case with a snap.

"There's still plenty left to learn about the Painted King," he pointed out, "and I wish to solve every last puzzle he laid out for those who would follow in his wake."

A bristle of the hair on the back of his neck alerted him to the fact that he was being stared at, and he looked up to meet the dark grey gaze of a very confused-looking prosecutor.

"Professor," Edgeworth said, "I respect you."

Layton cocked an eyebrow at him.

"But?" he prompted.

"But you're an absolute madman!"

It was difficult not to laugh at the statement.

"So I've been told," Layton replied, and he pressed into the crowd to try to track down Phoenix.

O-o-O

Jack had gathered them all into a neat arrangement in front of her inn.

Trucy stood at the front, grinning and cuddling the violin case to her chest, and Phoenix kneeled beside her and hugged her shoulders. Edgeworth stood behind them, arms crossed, only smiling because he had been asked to, and Layton and Luke stood on either side of them, proudly tipping their hats to the camera.

The moment the photo had been taken, Phoenix swept Trucy up into a massive hug to her embarrassed delight, and Jack hurried inside to print the photo out.