Fear

“Ow stop moving!” You snarked at the shifting body laying his head on your lap, Kaiman made a small grunting sound and opened one eye to pear at you. His spikes kept stabbing your hands when you tried to scratch his scalp.

“Sorry, my back is killing me in this position!” He said and gently shifted so his back was facing you. You decided you weren’t gonna scratch his head no matter how much he begged and said it was itchy. He would have to live with getting his back scratched instead,

You gently passed your nails down his clothed back, feeling the dip in muscles in the center of his back where his spine could be felt. You felt a small shiver ripple through his body, “I guess this is okay, too.” He mumbled in agreement. A grin split your face as you gave a small exasperated head shake, he was such a baby.

Tracing small patterns in his back and trailing up and down in soft rhythms was very pleasing, you enjoyed giving anyone attention, and Kaiman ate it up like gyoza. Occasionally Nikaido let you braid her hair and brush it when you all relaxed on the couch and watched TV on the quietest of nights. It was far and few between, but you still appreciated that she trusted you enough to do silly things like hair styles.

Sometimes you’d give her bad hair styles on purpose, and you’d all laugh as she gazed into the mirror with wide eyes checking out your work. She’d roll her eyes and give a smile from the other room as she brought her hands up to undo the monstrosity of her hair. All good fun during the rainy nights in the Hole.

“Our take-out should be here soon, Nikaido left quite a while ago…” You mumbled mostly to yourself as you continued to draw lines on Kaiman’s back. Kaiman was quiet for a split second, the deep rise and fall of his chest made you question if he was asleep.

“Yeah, I’m starving! She needs to get here faster!” He complained grabbing his stomach for emphasis, you chuckled and patted his shoulder in empathy, “Soon,” You assured,

“Now, hop up, let’s set the table.” Kaiman quickly sat up and freed your lap, he blinked blearily and rubbed the scales under his eyes. You got up and walked into the small kitchen pad you owned, it was a small shabby apartment for one. You had a few luxuries like a fridge and a nice stove top. You didn’t do a whole lot of cooking though, you frowned making a remark to try to cook some more, it’d save you money in the long run.

Opening up the dingy cabinet, you pulled out some chipped plates for the trio. Kaiman finally arose from the couch and started cleaning up the table and removing all your stuff on it. Random paint brushes and paper along with an empty energy drink. He tossed it across the room and into the trash can, a smile laced his toothy maw in awe as he quickly looked at you.

“Nice throw, dude.” You let out a small puff from your nose in amusement, he shoved the random items onto your coffee table by the couch and wandered over to the plates you had out and placed them on the table neatly. You also handed him some silverware for all of you to use, Kaiman placed them appropriately and nodded his head in approval.

Just as everything was set and done the door opened to reveal Nikaido with her skateboard in one hand and a large white bag in the other. Kaiman practically jumped for joy at the site, he scurried over to her with his hands out to receive the bag. She placed it into his willing hands and closed the door behind her, she looked a little out of breath, concern rose in your stomach like acid.

“You seem winded, Nikaido” You started as she set her skateboard down, her cheeks were rosy red and it almost looked like she was gonna start sweating. “Are you okay?” You finished as she plopped down into a chair at the table.

“I ran into those sorcerers from last week,” She said with furrowed brows, Kaiman whose mouth was currently full of noodles suddenly stopped dead and stared at her.