But during a lull in the music, I find myself ahead of him in line for a glass of water. He's wearing olive green, a much better for him. I keep my eyes on the pitcher of ice water ahead, pretending I don't see him.

Then he taps me on the shoulder.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey," I say, and face forward again.

"I'm sorry I was rude the other night. I was—I mean, I don't really care if we get in trouble. It wasn't your fault. I probably come across like Jekyll and Hyde. I just ... I have a lot on my mind this summer."

Why did he have to go and apologize? I'd already put him back on the proper shelf in my own mind. Now he's a guy who not only recognized his own behavior but is big enough to say sorry. I want to ask what's bothering him, but we're not there yet.

"I've definitely noticed that about you," I say finally, turning to face him.

His eyes flicker. "Really?"

"Yeah. but thanks for saying something."

His shoulders settle. I hadn't realized how tense he was. "You're not afraid of anything, are you?" he says. "I mean, we were three stories high."

"I'm afraid of a lot of things." I pour us each a glass of water. "Just not heights. I used to sneak out of my room at home like that."

"I'm still poking around about your artist. You're right. Kangjoon's a really good one. So are a few other guys."

"Oh, um. Thanks. I didn't realize you were checking."

His smile is almost shy. "I said I'd help. Might help if I take a look at the evidence."

Maybe he's just being kind. Still, I fish the delicate sketch from my purse.

He whistles, and I can't help a flush of pleasure. "You look—so real." If Joohyuk's the artist, he's a good actor. But, of course, he's not—he's the most devoted long-distance boyfriend on the planet.

"It could be Kangjoon." He tilts my sketch so my dancing figure catches the strobe lights, making me move on the page. "I've gotten to know him. I'll get him to show me of his other work. I'll be discreet, I promise."

He's surprisingly committed. "Cool. Thanks, Joohyuk."

He sets my sketch on the bar and pulls a lamp closer to illuminate it. Traces his thumb down the curve of my hair, like he's trying to unlock the secrets of the sketch. I watch him, resisting the urge to snatch it back from under his fingers.

ʕ-̫͡-ʔ*ᵒᵛᵉᵇᵒᵃᵗ✲゚ⁱⁿ* 서울。 *

We "sneak out" every night for the next week.

The game repeats—cat and mouse between us and our chaperones, whose attempts to catch us grow more half-hearted with each jailbreak. Jihyo even starts looking the other way as we pad down the hall in our dresses and heels. I'd say she's seriously neglecting her job, but this works out better for all. She can stay in her pajamas, and we don't get sweaty sprinting for the gate.

Free drinks drive our agenda—we stop at Club Kinki for its complimentary booze hour, then grab a cab to Club Gaga, then on to the next. We stay out until four and wake before dinner, and no one bangs down our door; instead, everyone fails a pop quiz—another Bae Rule downed.

It's a first for me, but I brush aside the pinch of guilt. Besides, with enough demerits, the conflict between the Tour with Seoul and Swan Lake goes away. When the Dragon marches toward me in the hallway, I spin on my heel and duck outside.