Forest, Chapter one.

It was cold. It's always cold here. I trudged through the Frigid air, wary of the shadows dancing beyond the barrier of ancient trees and undergrowth vines. The din of the wind roared through my ears, tugging frayed strands of my hair into my eyes.

          This place... It didn't make sense. Take one wrong turn, and bam; back where you started. It was frustrating, and I had lost track of the attempted trail-markers I had made. I looked absently at my watch, almost out of old habit. The familiarly soft ticking had ceased, and it hung dead around my wrist.

          I couldn't get over just how cold it really was. With this atmosphere, it should have been at least sixty degrees, but the temperature hung below zero degrees, farenheit. There was not one trace of ice in this land. It seemed so dead, yet so very alive...

          Now would probably have been a perfect time to solemnly wish for a home, and a bed to sleep on. It's a shame I don't remember what my home was like... I don't remember anything at all.

          How long had I been here? Days, weeks, months... Years, perhaps? I don't know. Everything looked the same. So very much the same.

          My memories were the only thing here that had altered. I remember having memories; I remember the warm, comfortable feeling of home, and how kind it had felt. Not anymore. I had no home, as far as I was concerned... Being here has made me forget.

          Sound was everywhere, whirring above my head, slipping beneath my sneakers, and pushing the shadows into an eternal spin. I was getting paranoid; scared of what else, besides me, might be dwelling beyond this impassible forest interior.

          Sudden silence overcame my world. A low, barely audible growl could be heard, running on a crescendo, bouncing off every tree. It gradually grew louder and louder, echoing across the frostless wasteland, and growing more and more difficult to place the source of it all. Turning around and around, I found myself trembling, but not from the cold, as the gutteral snarl grew closer yet.

          I grew numb, hearing the undergrowth snapping with what seemed to be an immence weight, approaching faster by the moment. It seemed I was going insane. How could something I heard so closely, be so terribly far away?

         The blood pumping through my ears and eyes screeched as a sudden light flashed from the darkness, temporarily blinding me as I fell upon the forest floor.

All was silent once more...

((If there's anything wrong with it, or you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me so. Thank you, I hope you like it, and I'm planning on continuing.))